Middlewood "Vertical Smoke 12" Halloween

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Can't ruddy wait! Just wondering if its ok if i bring my brother along? He's really interested by bushcraft, and i think i inspired him a little with my talk of spoon carving and cooking over an open fire.

Also, whats deal with fires at this meet? Will there be a communal fire for cooking like we had at Giants Seat? Should I lug some firewood along for a personal fire? Can we use wood from around the site? That last question is kinda important as well, cos Im interested in trying out the spoon carving again, and I'd like to make my tripod again, so it would be a bummer if the site didnt like that.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
No worries dave. See you at the camp.

this afternoon i have been getting my drinking vessel ready for middlewood. Hope i did the ruins right. Bring on the mead. :viking:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Can't ruddy wait! Just wondering if its ok if i bring my brother along? He's really interested by bushcraft, and i think i inspired him a little with my talk of spoon carving and cooking over an open fire.

Also, whats deal with fires at this meet? Will there be a communal fire for cooking like we had at Giants Seat? Should I lug some firewood along for a personal fire? Can we use wood from around the site? That last question is kinda important as well, cos Im interested in trying out the spoon carving again, and I'd like to make my tripod again, so it would be a bummer if the site didnt like that

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Bob
Wayland (TBC) Gin Gan Goo
Bilmo - Pot o' Beans
SimonM - apple crumble and custard
DaveBromley - Parkin Cake and Peanut brittle
Welchyd1 (Dave) +1 Kyle
Jim_aramis - Baked Sweet Potatoes
Hammockhead + son (big un)
Drewdunnrespect (confirmed)
Melonfish
Calibanzwei
Crowman & Fox - Mulled Wine
Trunks
Mentalnurse- marshmallows ( bring your own toasting sticks)
Phaestos
Mad Dave The award winning ****MAD DAVE CHILLI****
Spikey DaPikey (tbc)
Snozz - Rockbuns

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK

Also, whats deal with fires at this meet? Will there be a communal fire for cooking like we had at Giants Seat? Should I lug some firewood along for a personal fire? Can we use wood from around the site? That last question is kinda important as well, cos Im interested in trying out the spoon carving again, and I'd like to make my tripod again, so it would be a bummer if the site didnt like that

Hi Matt

It's a very similar setup to Giants seat. Fires do have to be off ground except in the main fire pit which is huge and can be used for communal cooking but there are fire drums available from near the camp office. There are plenty of areas for hammocks or ground dwellers. Wood can be at a premium so bring some if you can and I'm sure your brother will be fine. It is halloween so fancy dress/pumpkins etc are always welcome for a bit of a giggle.

C

caerbannog

Greeting all, i've just googled the directions and discovered Middlewood isn't too far from work.:) Would it be ok to ground dwell with my 8 yr old daughter?

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Right, not sure whether my messages got through or not, so ill ask again. Whatis the dealio with firewood at the site? Should I lug my own down, or will there be a communal fire to cook over? Hows the site for taking wood for tripods, spoons etc?

By the way, just got my Karrimor Jaguar through the post. Tis a beast! Don't have to worry about space anymore!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Right, not sure whether my messages got through or not, so ill ask again. Whatis the dealio with firewood at the site? Should I lug my own down, or will there be a communal fire to cook over? Hows the site for taking wood for tripods, spoons etc?

By the way, just got my Karrimor Jaguar through the post. Tis a beast! Don't have to worry about space anymore!
There is a woodpile...but it's not usually well stocked with much except pallets. I never rely on it and always take enough wood to cook over as I hate cooking over pallet fires.

On the site ground fires are a no no, due to the peat soil, but there are a number of altar fires and fire bases around site. There is also the camp fire circle, which is where we usually have a get together and communal fire.

Simon

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by caerbannog
Greeting all, i've just googled the directions and discovered Middlewood isn't too far from work.:) Would it be ok to ground dwell with my 8 yr old daughter?
Others, including me, take kids...

Only issue i can see is that ground dwelling can be tricky at middlewood (A.K.A. MIDDLEMUDD) you have to pick your spots carefully, but other than that you'll be sound matey

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE