Middlewood - Spring 2008 Meet...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Quite a list :D...

Matt Weir & tribe
Firebreather ÷ makeitmyself and poss adelle (one of her daughters)
Addo
Shewie
UKHaiku
Bodge
Bikething
SimonM
Singeblister
Chris G + 1
Xylaria & tribe
Soggy Boots
Spamel
PJMCBear
Mentalnurse
Corr
Jim Aramis + SWMBO (possibly +3 as Riam and missus might come)
Soar - knee depending
Neanderthal
Scruff
JimmyH
Andywinkk
Lightfoot
Bobstevenson
Jacko
Aragorn
Neolithic + hubby
Peds8045
Wanderinstar
Fishaben.
shaunmcdonald+Tribe
Paullyfuzz
EdS
Rangerman180
Nodd

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
I can see another day visit coming on, what with them oatcakes and the bowdrill lessons on offer.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Wanna borrow my knife :)

Its posts like this that convince SWMBO that you lot are all knife & axe weilding maniacs that get off on wearing green and running round the woods at night!

I had a devil of a job convincing her you were all "normal" folk like me (?) and now you've blown it - how will I get weekend passes now? :lmao:

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
Looks like I need to book the Friday off then if folks want to get there Friday daytime. I'll have to check that it's OK for us to do that so I'll get back on that one.

Nice to see you can make it Shaun :D

Andy, we aren't allowed to chop tree's up and what-not so I'll bring prepped stuff with me and if anyone has any fire by friction gear then bring that and we can play with different bit's and pieces.

Ye that would be cool and apreciated

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
Looks like I need to book the Friday off then if folks want to get there Friday daytime. I'll have to check that it's OK for us to do that so I'll get back on that one.

matt don't make any special arrangements on my account, the only reason i have booked a half shift, is because i should be working till 7pm, just let us know what time your there from ;) if on the other hand you fancy a day off.........:D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
matt don't make any special arrangements on my account, the only reason i have booked a half shift, is because i should be working till 7pm, just let us know what time your there from ;) if on the other hand you fancy a day off.........:D

Alan, like I need an excuse :rolleyes: :D

bobstevenson

Dec 19, 2007
Buxton
Hi Matt

I'll take you up on the bow drill and traditional flint and steel lesson as I need to brush up on my bow drill skills.

Bob

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I'll try and knock a few bow drill sets up this week then, seems like they may come in handy!

I've got the beginnings of 4 hearths and spindles made from some Rhododendron cut a stone's throw from Middlewood as it happens ;)

I'm not sure as to the quality of Rhodie for bowdrill save to say that it qualifies as a medium hard wood passing the thumbnail test whereby if you score it with your thumbnail and it leaves a nice groove without without going too deep than it should be good. The only issue I can see is that there may be too much moisture present. I know this because it's bloody heavy compared to most other woods per volume. One of these hearths feels a lot heavier that the Sycamore or the Aspen hearths I have but then again they are a lot more seasoned than the Rhodie so :dunno:

I'll finish a set and see how it fares but I can always oven dry it to some degree :)

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have been dealing with Tamarack Outdoors thro school and get a personal discount of 10% off all their stock lines. Mike (the owner) has said that he is willing to extend that to BcUK members, :D as a one off for now, if they place one large order thro me.

All items requested will be taken to Middlewood by me and handed over on a CASH on delivery basis. Sorry to be pedantic but strictly no cheques or cards for this deal!

There is no need to pay for items in advance just drop me a PM with what you want before Friday 14th March and I will take care of the rest.

Please only order if you want the item and will be at Middlewood for the meet as I will have to return all items that are not collected and that is a 2 hour round trip!

Below is a link to their website...

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/index.htm

So happy shopping!

Simon

EDIT:

When you PM please let me know:

• Item title
  • Size
  • Colour
  • Quantity required
  • Price of each item (please use website price - I'll feed that into a spreadsheet to calc all discounts and then PM you back with your order value)
Thanks!

Just a reminder guys and gals - the offer is still open!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE