Meths fuel container

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Am thinking about what to carry meths in, and I think a few of you have this bottle

trangiafuelbottle.jpg

I wondered what your opinions were of it - leaky? sturdy? etc

Also it comes in two sizes - 0.5ltr and 1ltr bottles (only a £1 difference in price!?) what one would you recommend, did you buy the wrong size etc?

Thanks in advance :biggthump

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
looks great for the job

i use old zippo tins mainly cos i have them anyway and they are small (100ml) and leak resistant

the flip up nozzle on the zippo tins can also be used to suck up excess fluid back into the tin. Just squeeze the bottle when upright, insert nozzle into excess puddle and let the sides go

Tant

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I use a Coca-cola flask to carry meths, because they're built like a tank, compared to other flasks. I've marked it with big X'es so I don't mistake it with water. :wink:

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
ye, they are nice bits of kit, easy pour to. Sturdy, not sure how well they hold up to abuse but they seem cool.

However there was a guy who kept buying them and bringing them back to work complaining they were faulty.....couldnt find anything wrong with them....think he was just incompetent......... :roll: :wink:

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Sigg do a 0.3L fuel bottle that fits very nicely inside the Swedish Army Trangia, and would no doubt fit in a Zebra billy. I find this more than enough for weekend use, especially if you’re having fires as well.

hootchi

Settler
I use them to carry meths. They have never split nor have I known one to and they do not leak. However I do not carry them inside the water proof liner in my pack, instead I carry them between the liner and the pack wall.

I have also used both sizes 1l and 0.5l. Because I normally walk as a group we would take a couple of the 1l but have taken 1l and a 0.5l if we were pushed on weight.

Personally I would buy a 1l if you are not pushed for space as you can only half fill it if you are not going for long. I would think a full 1l would be needed for extended trips, say more than a weekend, where you want a variety of food and some of it takes longer to cook. For weekends 0.5l would be fine. Its a tricky one.

A word of warning. On hot days the pressure builds up inside the bottle and if you do not relese the pressure by pressing the cap with the bottle upright it will spurt out both nozzles when you try to fill the burner. Iv learnt from experence!

jakunen

Native
Great bit of kit.

I have the larger one and its rather battered and still rocks on.

I've not had mine leak (which it probably will now as I've said it doesn't:lol: ), despite the fact it's been dropped, thrown across a clearing and bounced off a tree (a mate decided to help me set up camp and threw it to me. I was not where I was be apparently...:?: ), and suffered various other forms of abuse.
Which size to buy depends on how much you intend to use your trangi.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
They look sturdy enough... I've always used a SIGG bottle for fuel and had no probs. HOWEVER I've had bad reports about the MSR bottles and I watched a friends tent go up when she was using the MSR dragonfly stove. The top came free from the bottle and squirted a high pressure jet of fuel across the burner and onto her tent, igniting the fuel on the way. The tent was consumed in about 30 seconds (good job no one was inside). She complained to MSR who were 'indifferent' :?: and said it was probably not connected correctly.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
:smiley-fa :smiley-fa :smiley-fa i cant believe MSR said nothing about it.. ok so its incredibly bad luck for the jet to hit your stove then tent.. but squarting flamable liquid around the place is not one of the thing i want to happen when i but a fule bottle.. think i will stick to fires

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have used them for petrol and meths and never had a moments trouble. They have stood up well to abuse. I have only ever used the smaller ones because I prefer to have a couple of them in a sac to balance things rather than one lump. It also means if one ever leaked there would be another and I have a small one for day trips.
The only thing to bear in mind is that even when you have screwed down the top after pouring, there is some fuel left in the twin spouts so that you need to shake!!!

PS. I have an old one I think, so if you want to pay for postage and try it feel free to PM or mail me

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Andy said:
might sound silly but would they be ok for petrol?

Doesn't petrol have to be kept in a metal rather than plastic container? Maybe I'm not remembering right.

I prefer sig bottles even though they don't pour as well. I have one with dents and scrapes all over it but it still doesn't leak. Even the stopper is at an angle where it was dropped but it still screws on properly. Just don't know if plastic would last as long.

Bill

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
2 Siggs, both about 15 years old, and never a leak. I have a 500ml and a 300ml which suit different trips. Siggs have a ring at the top, unlike Trangia bottles, so you can hook them on the outside of your rucsac. Never put them on the inside because if the top isn't screwed on and it leaks it wiil take decades to get rid of the smell! Don't use for long term stotage as the metal will show corrosion. Also stick a small carabiner in the hole and it makes it easier to open when cold and wet as well as securing to a pack.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
The trangia bottles shown at the start of the thread are the best thing out for meths IMO. Tough, excellent control for pouring and secure when the screw is done up.

I've mentioned before that I've had problems with aluminium sigg bottles and meths - bought a blue one for meths so that I'd associate the colour, and the meths rotted the lacquer and pitted the alloy around the thread. The whole flask was a write off. I'll stick to plastic for meths, but rather like the lighter fluid tin idea.

Petrol stoves with an external fuel bottle (MSR / Optimus / Primus) need an metal fuel bottle. There was a well reported issue a few years ago that the threads of these bottles are not all identical. I think that MSR specifically stated that their stoves should only be used with their bottles, though this may have changed.

I'm not in the least surprised that MSR should respond with a "sorry, not our problem" attitude. They have no control over the conditions of use of their product, advise people to keep stoves well away from tents, and as an American firm would open themselves to all sorts of claims if they seemed to accept any liability - even only by implication.

Cheers

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
They are really good I think they are called safety bottles over here. I would go for the smaller one. I it´s easier to handle the smaller one and if you are going for a longer trip and will need lots of meths just store the rest of the meths in the original bottle and fill up the trangia bottle when it get´s empty.

One litre should be enough for two persons for a week so with a 0.5 L you should manage yourself for a week.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
alick said:
I've mentioned before that I've had problems with aluminium sigg bottles and meths - bought a blue one for meths so that I'd associate the colour, and the meths rotted the lacquer and pitted the alloy around the thread. The whole flask was a write off.
Cheers

Alick the blue ones were designed for water so they had a lining to stop drinking liquids taking on a metalic taste. The silver ones which said Fuel on the side were for meths and the like. They did not have the same lining because only alcholoics mind if meths tastes of metal :wink:

They did change the colour schemes in recent years for the sake of fashion I think :?:

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE