Meths fuel container

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
zippo tins will rust inside too as meths contains a little water often, and will draw some out the atmosphere given a chance

at a guess i would say replace after a year, hey they are free :)

Tant

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
After several damaged and expensive Sigg bottles, i carry meths in "panda-pop" (or similar) bottles. Wrapped in "duck-tape" and fitted with a Sports type drink bottles top, you have a bottle that is easy to use, almost indestructable and best of all, free fuel bottle.
If you own a Sigg bottle try this test:
Fill bottle to top,
Screw cap on,
Find large area of concrete,
Throw bottle as high as you can into the air,
Wearing boots, kick as hard as you can x5 :shock:

There will be one of two results - :lol: or :cry:
I bet it will be :cry:

This wont happen with the "panda-pop" version, it will cost you nothing, give it a try :biggthump
Neil

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Neil1 said:
After several damaged and expensive Sigg bottles, i carry meths in "panda-pop" (or similar) bottles. Wrapped in "duck-tape" and fitted with a Sports type drink bottles top, you have a bottle that is easy to use, almost indestructable and best of all, free fuel bottle.
If you own a Sigg bottle try this test:
Fill bottle to top,
Screw cap on,
Find large area of concrete,
Throw bottle as high as you can into the air,
Wearing boots, kick as hard as you can x5 :shock:

There will be one of two results - :lol: or :cry:
I bet it will be :cry:

This wont happen with the "panda-pop" version, it will cost you nothing, give it a try :biggthump
Neil

Funny you should say that :eek:): I have a Sigg that fell 100 foot down a gully near Wasdale, bouncing off the side wall as it fell, it was in my daysack which was on my back at the time!

We both survived but the Siggs scars have lasted longer than mine, it was old and battered already but the fall left it pretty beat up and only holding half its original litre or so and still no leaks!

As has been noted though, theyre def no good for meths!

Ultimately theyre probably not as tough as some of the plastic bottles but theyre pretty tough and I like mine!

Jason

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I generally use the larger Trangia bottle and can recommend it entirely. A bit heavy, but as solid as they come.

For lighter trips I'm now using a cunning little flask from www.brasslite.com which allows you to pour a measured dose of meths, especially important for the Brasslite stoves. Sending to America for one of the fuel bottles is probably a bit much, but you can find similar things in the UK if you search around. Lab suppliers are often a great source of handy containers.

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
tenbears10 said:
I prefer sig bottles even though they don't pour as well.

640020.jpg

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review...4/RCN/35/RPN/329/v/1/sp/332830698530328122288

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What about the fuel bottle that comes with the Swedish cooker/mess kit,how does that rate for the job.I guess it must be pretty good otherwise the Swedes wouldent give it to their lads to use.What you reckon????

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I use any of (up to?) about ten storm shield bottles (like siggs), and never had any leaking problems, despite having dropped one off Store Midtmaradalstind (bit embarrassing - there is a huge cliff, we're lying looking over the edge, tied on, about to drop a stone down when all of a sudden a meths bottle falls out of my rucksack pocket, hits me on the back of the head and drops over the edge - and despite having an utterly crushed end it does not leak!) A map of this rather large (800m!) cliff is here, and a picture of part if it is here.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
CLEM said:
What about the fuel bottle that comes with the Swedish cooker/mess kit,how does that rate for the job.I guess it must be pretty good otherwise the Swedes wouldent give it to their lads to use.What you reckon????
Anyone just use this one?

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Clem,

Mine has been sitting inside the mess kit 3/4 full of meths for a couple of years. I don't use the cooker much but it is carried in my 4x4 as part of the emergency kit, so it has been shaken about a fair bit. The bottle has not leaked at all and seems to work fine.

Regards,

Pete

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Neil1 said:
... i carry meths in "panda-pop" (or similar) bottles. Wrapped in "duck-tape" and fitted with a Sports type drink bottles top, you have a bottle that is easy to use, almost indestructable and best of all, free fuel bottle...
Neil

Just hunted one of these panda pop things up - good lid, just the right size - ace. Was even worth 20p for the drink !

Ta.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
CLEM said:

Ive known them to leak and I wouldnt trust them, caps are too small and quite poorly made. Better off with a fizzy pop bottle!

Jason

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
shinobi said:
Good God, man. you're not meant to drink that stuff!! :shock:
I'd feel safer with whatever you'll be burning in the stove !!

Cheers,

Martin

:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

I now have this alter-ego..... he looks remarkably like your avatar :wink:

Good stuff these E numbers.

:wave:

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Hi gents has anyone heard of a fuel called DIAMOND LAMP OIL ULTRA PURE and if so can i use it in my clickstand many thanks mal.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
alick said:
Just hunted one of these panda pop things up - good lid, just the right size - ace. Was even worth 20p for the drink !
Ta.

Was that the Meths or the Panda Pop you drank, not a lot of difference in taste, they just smell different :roll:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've not had any leaks from the military trangia plastic bottle so far. It is very light and a good size/shape to put in an internal pocket to warm up the fuel before lighting in winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE