meths container??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
You can buy meths in bottles that are about half a pint (no idea what that is in new money, don't care either). Wrap it in duck tape and it'll be much less burstable. Print off a poison logo some time that your printer isn't broken/out of ink and sellotape it to the side.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Great, thanks caliban, I've not seen the half pint bottles, they sound perfect, I'll get looking.
Nice idea with the labeling too

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You can buy meths in bottles that are about half a pint (no idea what that is in new money, don't care either). Wrap it in duck tape and it'll be much less burstable. Print off a poison logo some time that your printer isn't broken/out of ink and sellotape it to the side.

Is that tape for repairing ducks with?
:p

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I kind of prefer DUCT tape myself. You know, the kind they seal the seams of DUCTwork on airconditioning and heating systems. I never could get those damn ducks to stand still long enough to harvest any tape off of them!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Can't you just see the meeting at Duck co.:
President: So, what are we going to name our new duct tape product?

Vice president in charge of marketing: Well, how about DUCK tape?

3rd Vice President in charge of Common Sense: Won't that unnecessarily confuse the customers; cause people throughout the English speaking world to get in to arguments about how to spell duct/duck tape; and cause international incidents over bad jokes about ducks and tape?

President: shut up, your fired.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have been using a copy of the trangia fuel bottle its bright red plastic and says fuel on it but i recently had a stupid accident. I was camping in my wee tent and had several pints of cider in the local pub. Around 3am i woke up thirsty and reached for my water which happened to be the same shape as my meths bottle i took a big swig but fortunately realised something wasnt right before i swallowed my lips burnt so i spat it out and then spent the next 30mins swilling my mouth to get the taste out. I was slightly worried about going to sleep after that so i sat awake until dawn. OK i know i was stupid to leave both bottles in my porch close to each other and the bright red colour doesnt help in the night so from my experience i now keep meths in the bottle you buy it in simple because its a different shape and has a child and 33 year old proof safety lid... luckily i never went blind or ill and managed to spend the next day climbing the glyders as planned

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Spiritwalker, your story reminds me of an incident that happened some years ago to me. I was working on my mother-in-laws car and i was of the opinion that it was not getting fuel to the carb. (remember those, prior to fuel injection). It was a very hot midwestern day and while i was undoing the fuel line, my mother-in-law brought me out a glass of iced tea. I took a couple of drinks and set the glass on the manifold while I finished undoing the fuel line.

Then I placed a can at the end of the fuel line to catch any fuel that might come out and got inside the car and turned the key to activate the starter to see if the fuel pump would pump any fuel.

I got out and although there was a smell of fuel, I only saw a tiny bit. I absentmindedly reached over and picked up my drink and took a big swig. It was nearly all fuel. It had shot right past the can I placed there and went straight into my glass.

A quick trip to the emergency room ensued. The doctor on duty told me that the worst thing would be to vomit it up as you might aspirate it into your lungs, and end up with chemical pneumonia. He gave me something to make it bearable to keep in my stomach. I think it was milk of magnesia. His parting words were: "if you smoke, DONT. I felt terrible all night and the taste and smell was almost unbearable, but by morning I was alright.

Moral of the story: Don't have drinks and fuel anywhere in the same proximity. Learn from Spiritwalker and my mistakes. Apparently we both spent really miserable nights.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Having just joined I was reading some older threads and thought I'd put my first post here.

A good container I've often used for meths is a stainless steel hip flask, small unbreakable and hold a surprising amount. You sometimes see them cheap in pound stores - just don't forget and take a swig!

Also just bought a tiny tiny little stainless hip flask keyring that holds enough meths for a red bull stove in a crusader cooker and just enough to boil a kettle in my trangia.

---

Must get a sig - any ideas? :confused:

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
putting meths in cola bottles is illegal!!!

I think that this is quite possibly one of those occasions where the answer of "Shucks, who's going to prosecute you for it" springs to mind.

Anyone that's dense enough to drink purple, foul smelling and even fouler tasting methylated spirits in enough quantities to harm themselves deserves a Darwin award.

Obviously, keep it away from children and Americans, yada yada yada.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Meths (or in the US HEET) does attack some plastics and leach out some of the plasticisers(SP?).
As far as using as a fuel goes, I would not expect the levels to be a problem(ppm).
As far as taking a drink of it by mistake, well meths in the UK/europe is coloured, but in other parts of the world, its not. Also methanol (heet etc) is clear. Personally I use pure methanol as fuel but I put food colouring into it to be sure i can tell its fuel.
Now before anyone starts to go on about mathanol being a poison, yes it is, but so is petrol and many others.
As with all treat with respect and dont get complacent.
Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE