meths container??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

I was reading on here a while ago about maybe needing a special type of container for storing meths. Is this correct, does meths somehow eat the insides of containers, or can I store it in a small plastic drinks bottle??

Thanks for the advise.....

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I store small amounts of meths in a nalgene bottle (have done so for 3 years plus). Large amounts can be left in the original plastic bottle or as I do in Trangis fuel bottles which come in 500ml and 1000ml sizes.

Someone will be along shortly with the science bit.

Alan

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I went to a chemist and asked to buy a 500ml HDPE bottle (larger version of the containers that you get liquid antibiotics in). They gave me one for free...

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Agreed!

Any sort of plastic bottle will do for meths as it is just alcohol. Fuel bottles are great if you have the money and dont care about the weight. They are much more important when using petrol, deisel, etc.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Now I'm slightly confused...
So I can put meths in a normal plastic bottle (prefer a 500 ml), but it may be illegal?
I can understand why it might be against the law, but normal plastic will hold meths okay and not deteriorate the container?
Agreed, the fuel bottles are probably best, but they are heavy and too big for my likes....

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Now I'm slightly confused...
So I can put meths in a normal plastic bottle (prefer a 500 ml), but it may be illegal?
I can understand why it might be against the law, but normal plastic will hold meths okay and not deteriorate the container?
Agreed, the fuel bottles are probably best, but they are heavy and too big for my likes....

I've put my fuel into two cola bottles with the label ripped off. If they can contain pressurised liquid then meths should not be a problem. If they are in your bergen who's going to notice ? only the guys you camp with will see them so there's no problem there. Go for it mate. :D

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
I don't know about illegal, but I've always considered it pretty dangerous to put fuel in drinks bottles, simply for the fact that it could easily be mistaken for a drink.

if its just you wandering around the woods then great but keep well clear of kids.

given that coke is pretty presurised, I'd have thought meths would be absolutely fine. Nice red plastic fuel bottles are pretty damned cheap though, rigid and well sealed.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
erm... if your thinking of keeping it in a plastic bottle why not keep the one it came in!
after all they are designed to hold meths:eek:

pete

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Stick with the Trangia fuel bottles with safety pourer, not expensive and designed for the job. Meths does attack some plastics, I've left meths for a long time in some fuel bottles and the plastic washer between bottle and stopper was 'welded' in place, I could not open the bottles.

Not all plastics react this way, but to be on the safeside I use the plastic bottle it came in or the Trangia bottle. The Trangia bottle is much more rugged than drinks bottles and won't leak through breaking in your pack.

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Trangia/FuelBottle.aspx

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
I recommend just scraping the outter paint of the bottle in some way to make sure you know it contains meths. Though if I was you I would just get a fuel/ trangia meths bottle - well worth the price I think.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Since about 1980 I've used the plastic bottles I bought the meths in and never had a problem.

I've just bought a 500ml platypus bottle to save a few grams on a backpacking trip with the advantage that it will get smaller as the meths is used. I'm also taking my hobo stove to save the amount of meths I have to carry.

Stu

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I use a platypus myself as for most of the trips I would use trangia on I will be using so little of it a pint sized Trangia bottle would be too bulky and heavy. I tend to use a petrol stove for any multiday journeys.

I do use a Trangia bottle at home to store the purple stuff in and fill the Little Nipper and civy Trangia burner before I set off.

If you can get them the red squirter tops for the Platypus are great for filling burners or priming parafin lamps. If you lose a Platy cap (or some fat git treads on one...) a standard 2 litre Pepsi bottle cap is a perfect fit (not tried other brands but they all look pretty much the same).

ATB

Tom

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
what is wrong with the bottle it came in??

Not as strong as the Trangia bottle, the plastic is more 'brittle' and will break a lot easier than the Trangia bottle. If your not carting the meths around on a hike then use the original bottle, if you are hiking then use the T bottle plus the Trangia bottle with the safety pourer cap makes refilling your burner very easy with next to a zero chance of fuel spills unless your peed up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE