Metal waterbottle why do you use one

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Metal waterbottle why do you use one

Just a question on why some of you prefer a metal waterbottle over a 58 pattern waterbottle and crusader cup combination.

Reason asking a plastic bottle will give you a cooler drink over a metal one on a warm day, wont warm the water up.

A crusader cup unlike a metal waterbottle will cook food as well as boil water and its easier to get at once cooked.

Your opinions please.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
I still like a mess tin, you can cook some real food in one, try cooking in a cup lol. I like sigg bottles, two fit in one of my side pouches on my cyclops roc, can get to them easy without having to take my sack off.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Water doesn't get warm in a plastic canteen on a warm day?? In your dreams....
Plus plastic canteens give a bad taste to water, too.

With a metal cup there's the large risk of burning your mouth, if you have used it to heat water in. But cooking in a cup.... sounds like a meagre meal to me.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
If I'm out without the family, I always have two water bottles, especially in winter. The plastic Nalgene bottle screws directly to my MSR Waterworks filter, and can be used to hold drinks like orange juice, which can attack aluminium bottles, and the metal British 44 pattern can be thawed over a fire if it freezes up. The warm water that results can then be used to thaw the plastic bottle. ( I've had to do this several times over the years.)

Alan

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I prefer plastic, 58 pattern British or Dutch Avon 1 Litre which is very similar. Sometimes American ones. Tried metal, didn't like the taste of the metal ones, I know that sounds wired, and lots of people complain about plastic making the water taste funky which I don't agree with, but actually found the taste of the metal on my mouth unpleasant. Sigg or military. So reverted to plastic,they do freeze up and there's little can be done about it once it's happened, but I like them.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Agreed. If using simple tap water it will reach the same temperature the ambient air temp within a short time no matter if it's in metal or plastic. However I often fill a plastic canteen and half fill another and place them in the freezer the night before I plan on a hike. That way I have 2 quarts of ice water for at least half a day. You can do that with a metal one but I've found that the expansion when freezing is more likely to cause leaks with a metal canteen.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I use a a nalagene bottle as my handy camp bottle and I think they are great, no bad taste nice wide mouth for pouring attaches to my water filter, it fits perfect inside my snowpeak 700ml ti cup.
When I am hiking I use an army issue camelback bladder in my rucksack as I find these to be tougher ,easier to dry the tube ,comes with an insulation on the tube as standard and is near enough the same price as a standard camelback bladder . The empty nalagene bottle stays in my pack on a hike ready for when I set up camp and gets used then in the evenings

Linky for my fav bladder

http://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/camelbak-omega-water-beast-3l-hydration-bladder-10151-p.asp

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Plus plastic canteens give a bad taste to water, too.

With a metal cup there's the large risk of burning your mouth, if you have used it to heat water in. But cooking in a cup.... sounds like a meagre meal to me.

I know but it is still better than metal

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I agree with you
pyrophil, I carry one mess tin as well but wanted to try and simplify my question so to find out why those prefer metal waterbottles to the other plastic/metal mug combination.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wish I had kept my old Boy scout 2 quart aluminum metal canteen. Water just tasted better from it. Likewise from the old stainless GI canteens.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know but it is still better than metal

Better retaining temperature? I've found that either one takes about a half an hour for tap water to go from the temp it came out of the faucet to ambient outdoor temp (90f or over; OR 32.2c or over) on a Summer's day. Assuming of course that the outside temp isn't much warmer than that.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
I dont mind drinking water out of plastic or metal, the sigg bottles just work for me.
what tasts better coke and beer from metal cans or plastic bottles lol. i vote cans

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE