metal for flint and steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
tenbears10 said:
You don't have a picture of that PW?

Bill
No unfortunatly i made it when i was a blacksmith in the 45acre site in fords where i worked for doing small jobs save me lighting my bigger forge, the janitors probably still looking for his henry hoover!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Bill, i made a basic charcoal forge a few days ago.. didnt have a wheel so i used a paving slap and 4 breezr block!

it looked like this..
DSCF0008.jpg

i used a hair dryer and pipe as a blower.. mannaged to heat a relitivly large bit of steel so it would be easy to hear a file or such like to make a striker!

more photos on MY BLOG :1244:

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
hootchi said:
Have you heard about the one brick forge.

Essentially one brick turned into a small forge big enough to heat one file. Drill a 1'' ish diameter hole down the length of the brick (not to the end) for the file to go in. A smaller hole the same size of a blowtorch nozzle is drilled into the central channel from the side of the brick.

Ignite blowtorch and away you go. :f:

I dont know the forging detail but can be picked up from B Blades of which i am a member :eek:):
microfrg.jpg

Just remember that you want a soft refactory brick.

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
clcuckow said:
microfrg.jpg

Just remember that you want a soft refactory brick.

Wanted to try a one brick forge for some time and this could be the inspiration to start.
Anyone know where I can get a soft refactory brick or two?

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
"Wanted to try a one brick forge for some time and this could be the inspiration to start.
Anyone know where I can get a soft refactory brick or two?"

thermalite bocks from the DIY - you can buy them singly for about 30p and they're easily carved. I've built kilns out of them and dug hollows in them for melting metals, they don't explode or do anything else annoying.

Realgar

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
John Seymour's books give accounts of how to set up a forge, and basic metal smithing techniques, there used to be a good series of books for BTEC national diploma, each book showing a particular broad technique, (lathes, welding etc.), and if I remember correctly, two booklets were on metal smithing.

One bit of advice, if you intend to do any form of forge welding, it is advisable to line the furnace with proper fire brick, these tend to hold their shape and do not crack over long periods of repeatedly expanding and contracting in the heat: basically you will save yourself a lot of hassle if you want something permanent.

Greg

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
ESpy said:
Is Thermalite the fairly soft block material? Pretty much carvable with a spoon (although not as soft as soft firebrick)? If so, that is what I lined the forge at the BCUK meet with...

that's the stuff - excellent for makeshift moulds too, I've done demos casting pewter into designs carved into it.
Don't confuse it with breeze block which is clinker & gravel bound with cement.

Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE