mess tins or mug,what do you prefer and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what do you prefer and why mess tins or metal mug?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i have a nice dutch army mug but in the end i think mess tins are more flexible.
try frying an egg in a mug...:)

i have my original brit issue mess tins but today i bought the french ones in my local army and navy [s/h].
3 peices and the set i choose had a 3/4 spoon and fork inside as well.
scubbed up nice with little effort cant wait to try them.
they are the same as these on ebay not expensive either.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRENCH-3-PIEC...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2561097e46

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
You may be able to fry a egg, however poached onatop toast is quite nice.

mug + dixies for me as they work just fine together.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I prefer mess tins (or at least a pot with a lid)
I want to be able to have a brew while I'm cooking.
Just taking a mug I find very restrictive.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I have to pick the metal mug, wether its the 500ml tatonka on the bottom of the nalgene or crusader on the crusader bottle. I love mess tins but i find them hard to pack and not as strong. I carry a folding plastic mug so i make my brew and as it cools prepare my meal, but thats just me :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't use either, I think the mugs are too heavy for what they are and mess tins are a load of crap unless you're boiling up rat packs.

Give me a decent sized pot and a lightweight mug any day.

EDIT:

Can we have a third option on the poll for neither :)

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
I tend to use Mugs a lot more,i still have my issue mess tins from the 80s which i dont use,however i do still use a mess tin lid for frying eggs.

Daz

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I cook in pots as I can't back pack these days but army mess tins are still good for eating a dollop of curry or stew; mugs are for drinking out of.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I always like the idea of my Crusader mug, but never in fact use it. I used my issue mess tins & hexi burners for years, but they too don't get used these days. Instead I usually go for my Swedish Army mess set for preference whenever I don't have to lug kit too far - basically because it's simple, flexible & reliable; stick it next to the fire, over the fire, over a burner, use the top pan as a mug etc etc. That said I never make any fancy food either!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It depends on what I'm doing:

Backpacking = Ti mug and 1L pot

Base camping = Full cast iron set up (Dutch ovens / griddle / tripod), kettle with Crusader mug

Canoeing = Crusader mug, billy cans, kettle and frying pan

Simon

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i should of mentioned i meant as personnel kit being carried so weight also counts.

if i was camping from a car i would take a frying pan and a saucepan of course....:)

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I take this for a good walk out I make a cuppa first then do some noodles or whatever takes yer fancy, cheap too and so light.

HI-GEAR-POT.gif

Here's a seller.

http://www.ishop.co.uk/item/surplusandoutdoors/HI-GEAR-POT-IN-BAG.html

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I'm another one who has to say it depends! if its just an afternoon bimble, just a mug, but if I'm out all day and I'm likely to be dong any cooking, it's a zebra billy..... :D

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I like a pottery mug (a pint one!) for my tea. Stainless, aluminium and plastic all make tea taste funny but I'll use them if I have to.

I like non-stick pans for cooking.

They're heavy.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Mugs everytime. You can't beat then for eating standing up one handed. They keep your food warmer as well as compactly fitting on top or bottom, or both, of a water bottle. I have a crusader/'85 mug/'58 bottle combo as well as a Snowpeak ti mug/MSR steel mug/Nalgene set.
Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mugs everytime. You can't beat then for eating standing up one handed. They keep your food warmer as well as compactly fitting on top or bottom, or both, of a water bottle. I have a crusader/'85 mug/'58 bottle combo as well as a Snowpeak ti mug/MSR steel mug/Nalgene set.
Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

You on commision from Tapatalk?

always carry a metal mug was a US issue one for 20 yrs now a crusader as it fits the 58 bottle better and fits a Rat pack Boil in the bag properly
That said since i got it a few years ago I avoid Rat packs now and try and do better more interesting food so its mainly there to do hot brews

for me and me + 1 i carry a 12cm Zebra Billy and Hobo set as well some times a mini Wok

for static / Car group camping a large Dutch oven is added

my mate carries similar a mug and a Zebra etc but a 16cm so we have plenty of options plus he has a kettle that fits in the 16cm for the car camp set up etc

so not differnt set ups just adding more as you ramp up from the Mug depending on numbers and carry etc

still have my old cadet Mess tin (stamped 1947 ) large one was cut down so its just a lid bottom painted black :) perfect for bacon burgers boiled in their tins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE