mess tins or mug,what do you prefer and why?

what do you prefer and why mess tins or metal mug?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
i'm curious ged, would you class "heavy" as a good or a bad point?

Oh, almost all bad. Only good if you're trying to stop things blowing away, or people from stealing your dinner. :)

I like cast iron pans at home for the even heat that they give to the food, especially over a little meths burner, but they're not easy to clean so even if weight didn't matter I wouldn't take them camping.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
mess tins are more practable for frying small pieces of meat in
i love my swedish mess kit use it on a fire or on my primus omnifuel which all fits neatly inside
also carry a small dutch stainless mess tin with my fak in so its not taking up any extra room
mess cups are all ok but there designed for military patrols where they carry them just for a quick brew and heat a rat pack leaving other pouches free for ammo

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Think the poll would be better with a few extra options for billy can, frying pan and kettle :p
but i stick to the metal mug, just for it simplicity :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Crusader mug. I like the simplicity of the set-up and the fact that meals take that bit longer with one 'dish' - more time to enjoy...

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
Put me down for a vote for mess tins if you include swedish army trangias in that category.

MB

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Mess tins or at least a cooking pot so that I can have a brew whilst eating, I don't like the faffin around having to clean out my mug before being able to boil water for a cuppa. Also I hate drinking from a roasting hot metal mug.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I don't use either, I think the mugs are too heavy for what they are and mess tins are a load of crap unless you're boiling up rat packs.

Give me a decent sized pot and a lightweight mug any day.

EDIT:

Can we have a third option on the poll for neither :)

Plus one :) tho I'm not as classy and use a Chinese Aluminium kitchen pot with my ti mug.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I tend to use mess tins for most cooking at the moment although I'm looking for a pot that can be suspended above a fire easily and doesn't break the bank! (Ie not made from some super light titanium unobtainum alloy)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I like cast iron pans at home for the even heat that they give to the food, especially over a little meths burner, but they're not easy to clean so even if weight didn't matter I wouldn't take them camping.

A cast Iron Skillet is good for camping...

IMG_0090.jpg

But Heavy to lug around....

As to the poll. Given the choices... I'd go with mess tins...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE