Meindl desert boots,how to proof?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
Picked up a pair of new (no box/tags) Meindl desert boots.

As there are no tags,can't find cleaning/proofing instructions,have looked online,but just seem to get Meindl cleaning/proofing products which aren't cheap!

I have a can of Scotchgard protector,is this ok to use,is it basically the same stuff as the Meindl spray?

Cheers,
Andy

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've never bothered with mine...and I'm on my third pair as I keep wearing them out.

Getting them wet isn't a major problem as they dry quickly. If you get them really wet and you are uncomfortable (only happened to me once in about 6 years of wearing them) just change your socks for a dry pair, remembering to dry and powder your feet first.

Simon

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
What are the sizing like on these Andy ?, i fancy a pair for the summer. I take a 10.5 in meindl walking boots, but have seen 11's for sale.

Rob

sakotrg

Aug 25, 2010
Aberdeen
Doesn't tend to rain much in the desert why would you want to proof them?
Want waterproof boots then buy waterproof boots, but dont try to convert something into something that they were not designed for in the first place hence that's why they shrink

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
Because I'm not using them in the desert,I'm using them in sunny England,where it does tend to rain!
The proofing is also designed to keep them clean,unless I'm mistaken?

Regards,
Andy

sakotrg

Aug 25, 2010
Aberdeen
The spray you refer to would help protect them against the dirt, just treat them like rough out or suede.
Generally leather is waterproof otherwise animals would drown. Most boots and leather clothing leaks in through the stitching so unless the boots were made to be waterproof no amount of proofing or dubbin or grease is going to fix it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE