Meetup in Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Hi,

Just wondering if any of the Scottish folk (particularly those in the Central Belt - Edinburgh, Glasgow, Borders etc) fancied getting together at some point - maybe just a day out in the countryside sharing skills etc?

Looking at the map, there are a fair few Bushcrafters living in these parts, and another fair few that could get somewhere central (such as Edinburgh/Fife/Borders) in an hour or so.

If anyone's up for this, or perhaps more importantly, if anyone has a few hundred acres of woodland to play in ;) please let us know!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I would certainly be interested. Don't know the areas in the East at all. On this side of the country there is Loch Lomond area which can be good, with canoes or the like the islands are excellent. Locally I have acess to a nice woodland but it would depend on numbers (could not take too many).

So as I say, definately interested, even if it is for a meet in a pub or the like just for a chat

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I'm planning to have a hoiday in the Glasgow/Loch Lommond area in the early spring (around about March) next year. any advice about good places to visit would be really appreciated!

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Womble said:
I'm planning to have a hoiday in the Glasgow/Loch Lommond area in the early spring (around about March) next year.

careful your trossachs don't freeze :shock:

you could be in for all kinds of interesting weather in march

Tant

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
yeah womble it's all possible

my folks house sits on the 250 m contour and the hills behind the house are 400 and 450 ish, just a hair south of the trossachs but further east

if there is snow going they get to know about it lol

even galashiels is warmer than there

about the meetup , i am definitely interested :super:

can't make tooooooo many promises at the moment though

Tant

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Yeah - I've got no definite ideas - I just reckoned that with somewhere between 10-20 ppl in this area who might want to come (plus extras who are willing to travel :) ) it would be nice to maybe have a day-long thing one weekend, say on a Saturday, where ppl can come together, discuss bushcraft stuff, myabe have some led workshoppy-type things (all very unofficial!) such as fire starting, building shelters, wild food foraging etc (maybe not this time of year so much ;) ) etc. and just generally put names to faces here...

As to where and when, thats a more difficult question - woodland is always good for foraging/fire-starting/shelter-building, when is also tricky - I'd obviously like it to be ASAP :) but its often easier and the weather more pleasant in spring/summer months (if only I'd found bushcraftuk last spring instead of this Autumn... :?:

Edi_M

This side of hogmanay I'm fairly committed to other things, but next year I'm game. Be warned, my bushcraft skills are virtually non-existent, I just like to walk in the woods. The view out my office (back bedroom) window is of Dumyat, I'm only a mile away from the Ochils.

For places to go play in, the trossachs national park is rather large! Pick anywhere from the start of the west-highland way to about halfway to aberdeen & you're looking at some stunning landscapes (admittedly also a lot of hillwalkers in peak times though). I believe there aren't too many restrictions over the Ochils either, but you can't fall over without someones dog sniffing at you (not that I mind dogs, a border collie shares our home), and there seem to be a lot of ramblers on the officially published walks.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
I am up for it, the sooner the better. Not that sure on where to go, Loch Lomond has been mentioned and there are quite a few good places around there. Would be up for some skill sharing, i am sure we all have some good tips to pass on to others. Even seeing the kit other people carry can always give good ideas.
Look forward to it.

Michael

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Anyone interested in meeting up over the christmas and new year holidays ?....that is if you get some holidays during this period. An overnight camp would be good or even just a day in the woods sharing skills. :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE