Meetup in Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
It didn't rain!

You can imagine that came as a shock to us. Well in the end there were three of us but obviousley the best three. There was JFW, mmcniven and me.

The short summary is that I have soft office hands Mike has an axe obsession and JFW was not the beginner.

The longer story is............................well longer. We met and after short introductions set off into the wood. Having found a suitable spot we set about making a shelter. mmcniven with his axe obsession and two axes (he had decided three was just silly) set about finding dry wood for a fire. With my soft office hands I set about bleeding from the cuts I got getting bracken for the shelter and JFW worked away at getting us sheltered from the elements. We had decided to construct the shelter to keep the wind from us but when complete the wind changed it's direction to foil our plan. Still it was a good shelter and I will post pictures when I get the chance.

Mike got the fire going without resorting to either hex tabs or meths, both of which were bing considered as plan "B". He even used a firesteel instead of a resorting to a match or lighter. For some reason the wood was not split as small as either JFW or I expected but perhaps Mike left the wrong axe at home.

So settled in we compared some kit and talked. It was good to find out that others share the same interests and that I am not really the only nutter. It is also good to know that I am not alone in taking to much kit. With my 5 cups and numerous other duplicate pieces of kit. It will be good to have some more meet ups and hopefully more will be able to make it.

Now for Mike and JFW things to remember. First the link for the wax for protecting knife blades. Second Mike you really have to post more pictures of your knifes they really are first class. JFW PM me your address and I will post the Tom Brown books for you to have a read at, no hurry for getting them back. And lastly Mike remember that you are going to be making me a sheath in a couple of months :wink:

So a good day and hopefully the first of many.

MagiKelly

ronso said:
feck ,i wish id thrown a sickie and came-any pics?
Your wish is my command.

meetup_1.jpg

Mike has a go at shelter building before deciding that firewood is more his area. JFW makes a nice home for the bags. I take some pictures.

meetup_2.jpg

It's not much but we are getting there. JFW tinkers with the home for the bags and Mike hides. I take some pictures.

meetup_3.jpg

JFW and I have started some thatching. Mike works on the fire and I take some pictures.

meetup_4.jpg

All thatched now and Mike gets ready to light the fire and I take some pictures.

meetup_5.jpg

Time to make a brew, compare kit and chat while I take some pictures.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Yes i have to agree with Magikelly a great day all round. Helped by the fact the rain stayed away.

Have booked myself into the AA clinic in the morning (Axes Anonymous) hopefully they can sort out my axe obsession. Oh axes ..mmmmmmm :eek:):

I have recommended Magikelly go on a course of meths and sand paper for those office hands.

JFW had obviously been on that course and no help will be required there.

Look forward to the next outing

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Well guys,
just like to say that I really enjoyed myself today. It was great meeting you both.
MK I think you have some nice bits of kit - especially liked the Alan Blade Runt with kydex sheath. However mmcniven's collection of his home creations was stunning, some sweet blades there.
Was a little disapointed that mmcniven didn't use both the axes at the same time.....
I take back everything that I said about the paultry supply of firewood mmn - it was just right.
As for Magickelly's office boy hands I have to admit that he wasn't the only one that was bitten by the bracken - he was just first and sustained more cuts. He was, however, still able to astound the gathered crowd with his plaster enhanced performance of the elastic band trick, thanks very much for your gift of the carving knife, it was appreciated, PM on its way

Well done guys and here's to the next meetup.

Cheers

JFW

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
oh nearly forgot to remind you magikelly, don't forget to remind Mike about the new sheath/s he will be making you - just incase the 40 times you mentioned it were not enough.

mmcniven I agree with MK you should really post more pictures of your work - I'm sure everyone on here would appreciate the quality and craftsmanship that goes into your work.

Cheers

JFW

MagiKelly

JFW said:
oh nearly forgot to remind you magikelly, don't forget to remind Mike about the new sheath/s he will be making you - just incase the 40 times you mentioned it were not enough.
Don't worry JFW, I have not only reminded him by email but have also decided to get hime to make a sheath for the Runt for when I am not using the multi carry Kydex. It will give him a chance to practice, not that he needs it. Obviousley I will post pictures when it is finished.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE