Meetup in Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Don't think I can make the 3rd but if I can I will make the effort to meet you guys - I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Cheers aqnd Merry Christmas

JFW

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
stuart f said:
Willie its at the north end of Loch Lomond.

Mmcniven,MagiKelly, the 3rd should be ok for me,thats if i,m not to jaded from all the :trink26: during the festivities :roll:.

It is actually at the north end of Loch Long, and about halfway up Loch Lomond, but west a bit! :nana:

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Hi
Sorry i have been away from things the past couple of days. I think it all depends on who is going as to where we go, as for activities is anyone any good at flint knapping ? i have tried it a couple of times but havent quite got the hang of it yet, wouldnt mind watching someone that could do it ....

Michael

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
Im still swithering (great scots word ,that) if i can make it.a firm date/place could lessen the swither factor a bit...

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
My god this is harder to organise than i thought....... Well i think we should go with the Loch Lomond meet up if there is going to be more than just me, Magikelly and stuart. Unless everyone wants to meet at Magikelly`s Loch Libo which is certainly easier for me but maybe not for some others that want to go, correct me if i am wrong.
I think the best bet is if everyone that can make it on the day could send me a PM with the time they can make it, i will then post a definite time and place by the 1st of january. How does that sound ?

Michael

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
And for those who have not looked back the suggested date is the 3rd January.

As for what to do I have never even tried flint knapping. To be honest I would not really class myself as particularly skilled at any Bushcraft activity.
I can make any time on the 3rd and pretty much any place within reason.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
After i put the piece about wanting to learn flint knapping i thought it might be a bit of a tall order but you never know it might be worth a try by all that turns up, i have some flint and a general understanding of how to do it so it might be good for everyone to have a go, you never know someone might be a natural at it.
What about building a group shelter, i havent tried that and it would be good for sitting in if the weather is bad. Also after all the rain we have been having some alternative methods of fire lighting might be a real challenge.
Some tracking skills would be good.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I agree with you John, would be nice just to get to know one another over a brew and a blether.

PM sent to mmcniven along these lines last night, as he seems to be the one landed (volunteered) with initial coordination.

Cheers

JFW

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
typed in neilston web cam into google ( I cant send the link for some reason)pics and directions for loch libo-to be honest i thought loch libo was near loch sloy.Ive got the nav skills of stevie wonderwith a drink in him,and am unfeasibly proud of it

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Right here is hopefully the final details for the Scottish Meetup on the 3rd of January :p

Loch Libo at 11am for more information on Loch Libo, Magikelly kindly sent me the following links.
http://www.swt.org.uk/wildlife/popup_reserves/west/lochlibo.htm
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...56&st=5&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

As far as activities we are planning to build some kind of shelter and have a brew up and chat, i thought it would also be nice to bring along some, or all, of our bushcraft kit for a kind of show and tell session, kit always interests me and i am sure we will all learn something from seeing what other people carry when out practicing bushcraft. Anything interesting or unusual.......

Hope to see you all there on the day.

Michael

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Sorry i forgot to put this bit in about where to park at loch libo

The best place to park is on the A736. There is a lay-by about a 100 yards from the Rail Crossing.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Trust me to start a thread, turn my back for a few weeks, and then discover that its all go :)

I'd love to come out if I possibly can - I'm in Edinburgh at the moment but not back at work until the 6th, so the 3rd is doable.

I don't have a car at the moment, and so I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to reach by publci transport? I'm guessing I could get a bus from Glasgow toward Stewarton, and get off somewhere near Loch Libo, but I'd like to know if there are definitely bus stops within a few miles of wherever people will be :)

If anyone knows about this, please let me know - otherwise I'll try the bus station in Glasgow for details...

Also, how many people are likely to be there? And what will people be bringing with/showing/doing? If I'm there then bow drill fires, campfire cookery, wild plants and possibly shelter building (I'm a bit rusty at this ;) ) will be what I can offer.

Here's hoping I can come! :red:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Thanks for all the PM's and offers of transport - however something else has unfortunately come up that I won't be able to get out of tomorrow :( - hope you guys all have a fantastic time - I look forward to hearing how it all goes - and hope to be able to have similar meetups with Scottish folk later on this year...

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
match said:
Thanks for all the PM's and offers of transport - however something else has unfortunately come up that I won't be able to get out of tomorrow :( - hope you guys all have a fantastic time - I look forward to hearing how it all goes - and hope to be able to have similar meetups with Scottish folk later on this year...
And I had looked out my attempt at a bow drill too. Oh well maybe next time you can come and play.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE