Meeting like-minded people!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello!
I'm fairly new to camping/bushcraft and all, and my main concern is that I have absolutely nobody to be interested with. I'm 18, and everyone I know is either too busy drunk or gaming. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to either, they juts don't hold my interest!)

I'd absolutely love to get out for a long weekend if the woods or something, but of all my friends, not one has even the slightest interest in the outdoors.

My question to you all is "how did you meet new people?"

A second question would be, "if going alone, what're your top 5 tips?" I'll probably cry if I'm alone in the woods at night. Too many scary stories!

Thanks all! :)

Jake

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My tip, get outdoors. Not for a weekend, just for a walk. Then go for a walk at night. Its lovely, cool and quiet and the worlds asleep. I was out watching the meteor shower last night whilst hedgehogs grumbled about, bats flew and owls called I just sat quiet, watched and listened - lovely. Of course it helps if you know the scream you just heard is a dog fox not a murder :). Immerse yourself gradually. For me, its not a social thing - its a nature thing.

I should probably have clarified that, I'm more interested in the security than the social aspect of going with a plus-one! ;) I'd feel a lot safer! Seriously, it's my own nervousness that stops me going solo.

I could of course just take the dog, but there's nothing quite like the shared campfire in my books!

Hi Jake,

This is a great place to start! Loads of people arrange meet ups and get togethers on here and some of my best mates have come from this forum. Where ever you are, I'm sure there are others that share your interest.

Where abouts are you?

Neil

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, posting on here is a good start. People on here may well be local to you, so you arrange to meet up at a pub or somewhere. If you decide you get on, you maybe try a daytime walk or activity, and then progress to an overnighter.

It's a bit like dating, but without the need to buy flowers, or the emotional complications ;)

Seriously, find out where there is a meet-up planned in your area, and arrange to go along. You'll make new friends immediately.

It's a bit like dating, but without the need to buy flowers, or the emotional complications ;)

I love this forum. Every other forum I've ever used has been full of rude people, interested only in talking to other professionals. Every thread on here is just a bunch of people having a laugh. I love this! :'D

Well, I sincerely hope someone near Harrogate sees the post!

Thanks all for the comments too :)

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
First of all I want to congratulate you! When your friends get a few more years on their drinking asses, they´ll be fat, full of STD´s, stuck with kids made with various people (most likely during a party) and a few of them might eventually begin to understand what a waste their youth have been.
And then they´ll be miserable and wish they did the same thing you did, something meaningful. Even if you did it alone.
And then they will try to make up for that waste by entering some bicycle competition or something like that, so that they can hang up a little ribbon or a medal for all others to see.
In case you´re wondering, yes, my friends were only interested in parties too at that age ;)

My advise, if you want company on your trips, is to get some new friends or a dog :)
Seek arrangements that attract people with the same interests that you have. You are guaranteed to meet some nice people on the way.

RRIris

Jul 12, 2013
East Midlands
... find out where there is a meet-up planned in your area, and arrange to go along. You'll make new friends immediately.

+1 to this.

I attended one of my local meets that was advertised on here. I decided to start cautious and only attended one night. I got on great with all the folks. Top notch people. I was gutted when I realised a friends wedding caused me to miss the most recent one.

I also tend to travel alone, few of my friends share my interests or are as commited as myself to my interests. I can some times talk a small number of them to tag along on a camping trip, but only if there's a nice toilet and shower block within a short walk. :rolleyes: I'm a gamer and I love me games but it's all too easy to watch every spare day you have come and go without leaving the house.

Fear of the unknown, the cost of petrol, the weather, lack of company. There are a ton of things that can weigh heavy on your mind and keep you home but it's simply awesome to just drop everything for an impromptu trip somewhere new and far from home.

hobson

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Devon
I should probably have clarified that, I'm more interested in the security than the social aspect of going with a plus-one! ;) I'd feel a lot safer! Seriously, it's my own nervousness that stops me going solo.

Firstly welcome to the site,

I've heard this from a few people i know who live in cities, who say i'm mad to be out walking at night, regardless of whether i have the dogs with me "aren't you scared of coming across some loony?" is the popular one.

But think about it, you're far, far more likely to be attacked or to come across 'some loony' in a city or town any day of the week, and the chances of coming across anyone out in the country at night are pretty small, and it's more likely to be a like minded person anyway!
granted in some of the national parks you sometimes get the Boy Racers tearing about or stopping to get drunk and leave cans everywhere :)aargh4:) but i think you'd hear or see them a mile away, giving you plenty of time to avoid them.

Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of times when a pheasant or a hare has jumped out of a hedge next to me and given me brown pants, but it's all part of the fun! try a few late night walks to get comfortable with the sounds of the outdoors, try just sitting for an hour or so and listening, you'll be out camping before long!

Good luck!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My tip, get outdoors. Not for a weekend, just for a walk. Then go for a walk at night. Its lovely, cool and quiet and the worlds asleep. I was out watching the meteor shower last night whilst hedgehogs grumbled about, bats flew and owls called I just sat quiet, watched and listened - lovely. Of course it helps if you know the scream you just heard is a dog fox not a murder :). Immerse yourself gradually. For me, its not a social thing - its a nature thing.

+1 to that ... and hello and welcome :). For me it's both a social thing and being in nature. If you want to meet folks the best way is to take yourself along to a meet; people are very sociable but there is also plenty of room to go off by yourself too - and/and. People are very willing to help but won't get in your face.

I find the sounds of the night denizens entrancing rather than frightening ... unless it's a load of loud people, then I get murderous :D

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Best thing to do is go get a map and get out there. I did alot of camping the the garden when younger so was aclimatised to night sounds etc, at school did the DofE but lost touch with school friends. At college/ uni no-one was interested so I got fed up bought a map for the peak district, hoped on a train one holiday and spent a week wandering around - as long as you can read a map have a compass are confident at finding shops and civilisation when you need to there is no problem. Also don't be afraid to give up - if it's raining your soaking it's cold etc it is ok to hop back on a train or bus and go home - there is always next time, and you'll no doubt have learnt a few things:)

At least in Uk there are very few animals which are dangerous:) and when you get out there the only other people you'll likely to meet are other walkers - quite a few of them will even stop and brew a cup of tea with you:)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
You've already taken your first step to finding like-minded people by using this forum. Think about camping out at night. Try and assess the real risks as opposed to your perception of them. Take the dog, he/she will prove a great companion. Spend a couple of hours out alone at night just to acclimatise yourself. Gradually get used to the experience. Learn what the sounds of the night are. For instance, foxes and deer can sound alarming until you know what they are.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've met some great people on here and made some wonderful friends (and jack). Just get out there!

If you don't want to go solo, there will be plenty of folks in your neck of the woods who would accompany you but I'd recommend going to a larger meet first to make sure you get on otherwise you might find yourself in a strange wood looking at a recently dug shallow grave :D

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
I spent years off on my own and its only in the last year that one of my mates has expressed any sort of interest at all but he's more into just the wild camping side rather than bushcraft. Take it from me 99% of the time there's no problem at all security wise your more likely to find a deer or badger intruding than a human. Since being on here (about a month) ive met more people than in the last 20 years lol! You've all of a sudden found yourself in great company so id advise getting out to some meets!

greensurfingbear

At 18 your not to old for scouts. I believe the venture scout section is 18 to 21 with scout fellowship also an option. I started my adventure in the outdoors in cub scouts but no reason at all you can make up for lost time :) welcome to Bcuk and I've no doubt you'll be attending a meet in the not to far future.

Orric

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
there's a young lad on here called HarrogateTobias who funnily enougth comes from your end but now lives up here in the toon !
if you contact him of even look through his older posts i think there was a few rightups about camping in your area !
P.S whatever you do dont watch Dog soldiers before you first sleep out overnight, by the way its on the telly tonight ! lol

cheers andrew.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE