Medium rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Hi guys, I currently own a 65 litre rucksack and am on the lookout for a smaller day/weekend bag. I am looking to spend £20 or so and would like something robust with a good size main compartment so I can stuff it well (rather than a tall and skinny one).

Any recommendations or tips on current good deals? I liked the look of Dave Cantebury's Swedish Military bag but cannot seem to find any anywhere. The German equivalent looks lame! :)

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Highlander 44 is pretty good for that money, but the belt rides high - at least it did on my rotund frame :p

DSCF0067_1.jpg

I had a look at the Tesco rucksacks the other day - seem pretty solid and they're in that kind of price bracket.

SS07200-3132TPS104651.jpg

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-3132.aspx

Someone on here mentioned this recently - heavy weight but very nice with it. Hopefully they'll chime in:

Nauticalia_Swiss_Army_Surplus_Rucksack.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350432444401

Last edited:

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
I managed to grab a 35ltr from Mountain Warehouse a few years ago, and its still going great. Enough room even for a night out somewhere. Plenty of compression straps, hip belt, yada yada yada, and in my fave colour, OD!! Would recommend their Mountain Life rucksack a lot! In addition, the form back pad can be removed from its internal pocket (think bergen frame) and a camelbakc fits in perfectly....

just my 2 pence worth...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you want the military look then another vote for the Highlander packs, the Airjets are worth a look too.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Can't go wrong with Highlander bags.

Having had a 33and 55 i've settled in between on a 44 as a large daysac.

I also got a 25l olive daysac from Mountain warehouse as a normal day job.

Mind you i've also got a couple of Swedish and Norge old canvas fellas that were only a few pounds.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Thanks for the links guys, much appreciated. I'm not looking for the "Military look", in fact I don't like it but I do need a sturdy bag that can stand up to a knock or two. Ronnie you found the exact one I was looking for! However, I have had my fingers burnt with paypal and I hate them. Long story short, they screwed me and failed to deliver on protecting the buyer so do not have an account with them so need to find a seller other than ebay. Any ideas?

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
OK now I am not sure between the Dutch or Swiss army backpacks. Which is bigger? They seem similar in build quality so the only deciding factor will now be, which can fit more in?

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Hey guys, cheers for the tips. I went with the Swiss Army leather bag in the end, £27.50 including postage and packing for a bomb-proof bag. It was precisely what I was looking for so chuffed. I'm gona be away a week so had to phone the guy to make sure I get one but asked if he could post it later which he was fine.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Sure thing will do, it is not coming through till early Feb as I am away and then could be another week or two at least but I will review it when I am back.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Review

Well I received my bag today and am very happy with it overall.

Pros:

- It is by far the most durable bag I have ever seen and will last me many years I am doubtless
- It has a raised section of leather that rests on your lower back to lower contact with the back to reduce sweat
- The bag is wide and has a large main compartment that could fit a lot with a good sized front puch
- By the looks of things it is fully water-proof and very rip proof
- Very adjustable in regards to all straps

Cons:
- It is very heavy - like 2kg I would imagine due to the reinforced bottom and leather that is used all over
- The shoulder straps could do with a bit more length

The leather was quite hard and dry so I needed to wax it all and it is now looking far better and should be protected against the elements.
I will be using the bag to carry sometimes sharp or unusual objects (sticks and screwdrivers and other metal items) and due to its durability it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps, if anyone is interested I can post pics. Let me know.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
22012405.jpg

34320838.jpg

27510553.jpg

Here you go.... You have to use the IMG tags to get the images to show up.... Image shack has the ability to give you the linked code to paste directly into your posts on here....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE