Medieval re-enactment Summer 2011 France (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Finally got around to sorting these out the other night to share with you folks. I realise I might be preaching to the chior here by showing such basic stuff, but I also thought you might find some of the French version of reenactment a bit different to the usual UK brand.

Anyway hope the pix I took that day are of interest:

One of the many wooden framed tents the exhibitors spent the week in. The left side hinges down closing the entire side down making it into a conventional "ridge tent" When it's open it becomes a stall and work area. Rather ingenious I thought.

chateau_ganne01_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5exj.jpg

Lunch on the go

chateau_ganne02_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5ek0.jpg

The Antler carvers workbench

chateau_ganne03_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5egy.jpg

His wares and home for the week.

chateau_ganne04_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5ef0.jpg

One of the celtic knotwork decorated tent poles. Basically it was a sleeve that wrapped around the existing wooden pole turning it from "mere" to "Wow!"

chateau_ganne06_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5e8g.jpg

Seems this axe head was dug out of the sendiment on the banks of the Thames in London back in the 70's. The current owner of it bought it from an authentic source which had had it verified as a genuine item. Those bronze rivets on the poll are purely for decoration. Must have been like owning a posh family car back then to have had that hanging on your belt

chateau_ganne08_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5e4k.jpg

Think this might appeal to most of you especially.

chateau_ganne09_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5dy3.jpg

The jawbone one was especially interesting and surprisingly comfortable to hold, yup genuine bone too. It was up for sale for €65 (about £53 I'm guessing) Not bad price for a hand forged knife. No sheath though.

chateau_ganne10_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5dv1.jpg

The "food court" was interesting too. Liked the set up for the fire pits in particular. No idea what that sprial thing is in the bottom right, some sort of adjustable hanger I'm guessing or a most likely a trivet of some type.

chateau_ganne11_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5doc.jpg

The table and trunk/benches appealed to me since I am a carpenter by trade. I like looking at well made things that are also functional.

chateau_ganne15_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5de5.jpg

More pix of their version of BurgerKing.

chateau_ganne17_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5d7f.jpg

Another bizarre bone and resin combination hand forged knife. This was made using the backbone of a fox apprently. I kicked myself afterwards for not asking how much it was up for sale for. Anyway thought it might it might be of interest to show you.

chateau_ganne16_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5dbf.jpg

Wrought iron cooking tripod set up.

chateau_ganne18_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5d5j.jpg

And detail of the hub should anyone fancy making something similar.

chateau_ganne19_by_bikerbloke99-d4r5d1v.jpg

Dat's yer lot. Hope these pix have been a bit of interest to you. Thanks for viewing, sorry about the heavy picture load.

Roll on this summer so I can get out to see some more of these events!

Biker

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
awesome picture thanks for sharing biker, love those knives especially the spirally dagger/short sword :D the trunks/benches were great do you reckon that would be fae raiders using their sea chests for rowing benches and hauling them ashore. also love that first picture the tent is braw wonder how easily that could be made in the woods. 7 long poles and a good tarp im sure wouldnae be too difficult.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Actually I liked the knives-part the least.... Am I weird, now??

Those cookingsetups are more of an area of interest to me. And I love that folding shop/tent.... I wonder how I could transform that design into on suitable for my purposes..... I feel another project coming up!!!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Good stuff thanks mate, I enjoy seeing things like this goodjob

Thankee kindly sir (tugs forelock ... if I had one)

Glad you lot in the cheap seats also liked it. So Wayland you recognised a few faces there eh? Must be a small world then. I went to a Viking reenactment later in the year and found that to be as interesting, I'm betting you could spot several more faces in that bunch. Took a load of photos of that too.

Yeah Mike it was a really good day out. Got whiplash in my neck trying to look at all the stuff going around me. The actual battle presentation was the least interesting thing I found in the whole day, but man did they beat the cr*p out of each other too. UK health and safety would have had a blue fit

Dreadhead and RonW that tent is pretty sweet, I do like the idea of it being able to be opened sideways on for a larger covered shelter. I'm sure something could be cobbled together using branches and a tarp. If either of you do do a project be sure to show your results, I'd love to see 'em.

Anyway glad you found it of interest. I really wanted to join up with an outfit like this, almost did back in the early 90's but met up with a few people that put me right off the very idea, they were reenactment snobs who were so pedantic about everything having to be 110% accurate that anything less was sniffed at. Even down the knots in the homespun clothes. Since I couldn't even afford the most basic pair of medieval shoes I'd have ended up being barefoot of the peasent class. Always regretted not taking it further and just finding some group a little less anal about things. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Last edited:

Mack_ire

Cheers for sharing some cool pic's where about in France was the event. Have you got a name or website so I can go and find more information, Might be worth stopping off during my holidays in France.

Cheers,
Mack

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Our French friends really know how to enjoy themselves, don't they? Food at the core as usual. We have a cutler who often comes to our market who makes traditional Catalan knives- always pretty to look at but don't tempt me to buy. Thanks for sharing the photos.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE