medical alert bracelets at school.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
3 of my 4 boys have bad asthma and so i bought them rubber medical alert bracelets in case they are ever in a bad way the information is on hand for any medics they wear rubber medical alert bracelets,much the same as i do for diabetes.
Today the school made a big deal of it and took them off the boys and gave the reason that they were not part of the schools uniform and that it was also for health and safety reasons as the band might get caught on a door handle! am i alone in seeing this as totally out of order? they allow kids to wear watches,seihks to wear their metal band,i think it is a very reasonable and sensible for them to wear them,what do you guys think?
alert.jpg

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
The countries full of the Health and Safety brigade,they are hardly going to tear your arm off if the get caught on a handle,they would strech and snap if given a hard enough tug,as for not part of school uniform,from what ive seen of secondary (High school up here)kids they are hardly dressed in the strict way we had to do (in ye olde days) im with you no harm or issue at all as far as im concerned.

my kids are still in primary school but the kids there wear the ones Maccy -d's were giving away for the olympics and no one has told them to remove them,they all wear bright coloured trainers to school and some of the lads have earing's,dont know if your kids school is overly strict or mines overly relaxed?

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
In theory thier medical status should be known to all staff anyway but the bands could be of value outside school.

I think it may be a bit of an overeaction but the decision may have been made in the light of the increasing number of such bracelets being worn for fashion purposes.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Jobsworthism gone mad is my view

If someone is going to carry out a risk assessment then do it properly. Yes - the breacelets could get caught on a door handle but the risk of injury/death from that compared with the risk of injury/death from inadequate action in the face of an asthma attack seems (to me) to be minimal.

If the school insists on the school uniform argument could you get them some dogtags to wear (under their shirt). I got a set of two off ebay a year or so ago that included engraving on 4 sides for about £5. Might be more boyish for them as well - but I am out of touch with schoolboys' current views on stuff like that.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Personally? I would call in and speak to the Head. I'd explain the medical need for them, and point out that others in the school wear watches/religious metal bands etc, that have no medical imperative and are if anything more dangerous to wear, so why are your children being discriminated against? If that fails, write a polite letter to the governor's chairman, asking for an official explanation for this policy.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Personally? I would call in and speak to the Head. I'd explain the medical need for them, and point out that others in the school wear watches/religious metal bands etc, that have no medical imperative and are if anything more dangerous to wear, so why are your children being discriminated against? If that fails, write a polite letter to the governor's chairman, asking for an official explanation for this policy.

Very good!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You might also just contact Medic Alert (the actual official organization) and get the proper IDs with member # and medical info as well as emergency numbers www.medicalert.org
Fortunately over here neither schools nor anyone else are allowed to dictate policies such as you describe prohibitting wear of "proper" Medic Alert medallions.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

That's very good advice.

And following SM's advice here's something the kids might like to wear which the school would have a hard time refusing...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I think Santaman's got a very good point. THe rubber bands you show are somewhat lacking in detail - a MedicAlert type band would probably be more appropriate (and defensible!)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think Santaman's got a very good point. THe rubber bands you show are somewhat lacking in detail - a MedicAlert type band would probably be more appropriate (and defensible!)

Sort of what I was thinking too. The ones shown in th OP don't say to me, "I've got asthma in case of emergency" but rather, "I support asthma awareness month."

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Sort of what I was thinking too. The ones shown in th OP don't say to me, "I've got asthma in case of emergency" but rather, "I support asthma awareness month."

yes but all medics and health care professionals will know exactly what they are and what they mean,we cose thes as they were less likely to cause injury than the metal ones.though not very clear on the pic they do have the medi-alert symbol either side of the condition name.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
yes but all medics and health care professionals will know exactly what they are and what they mean,we cose thes as they were less likely to cause injury than the metal ones.though not very clear on the pic they do have the medi-alert symbol either side of the condition name.

Fair enough if it actually has the symbol on it. that said, as someome who has responded (and been trained to) to medical emergencies, the more obvious, the better. And as Andy BB stated, the more proffessional ones from the actual organization would be might acceptable to the school. As a diabetic, I know I appreciate the beefits of membership.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've been told that most medical professionals ignore these bracelets and charms anyway. Unsure if its true, but, as for the OP, I'd certainly be sending the kids back to school with them on and have a word with the head. This PC business infuriates me.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Sorry fish, but those bands would just be removed like any other rubber wrist band, the pukka medic alert bracelets are not taken as gospel but will give any medic a header as to why your kid might be in front of them.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I doubt the medics would take the bands at face value, children being what they are 'swap' things in the playground so personally I'm with the School on not allowing them. So long as all the staff are fully aware you should have no problems and the medics will listen to the staff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE