Me new hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
So... I have me new group buy hammock, 30m of polyester 25mm webbing, my canoe and a week off work:nana:

never hung a hammock before so I intend a trial run next week i.e day out in the canoe with a load of bacon a stove and some coffee and a paddle to a nice quiet spot with some trees and the chance to try a few different options for hanging the hammock. I might even squeeze a little afternoon snooze in if the hammock hanging is successful.

Now to my question, I've seen all the posts and video etc..of different ways to hang a standard hammock but has any one tried hanging a group buy one or similar using the DD hammock set up. i.e two ends of webbing coming from the hammock a few turns around the tree then a nice pretty bow instead of your usual knots.

Has anyone tried this or can think of any reason why this just won't work?

Dan

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
It'll work - I have the DD system, dont forget to sit in it for a while to stretch the tape then re-adjust.

You can Mod it later - happy swinging :D

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
More loops round the tree is better, your weight is then taken by the tape on the tree. If you go round just once and tie a knot, your weight is taken by the knot and harder to untie (as I found out night before last when i picked two tree's a bit far apart and had no choice (due to lack of tape) to go round the tree only once!!).

A nice pretty bow will hold just fine. I wasn't too sure when i first tried but it holds just fine and unties easily too.

Have fun, and post some pics too (if only to make me jealous i don't own a canoe!)

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Actually next weeks looking even better now, I just got my licence from the EA and permission from the land owner to catch crayfish today + my new trap turned up so with any luck i'll be getting some crays for the pot.:D

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Dan,

Likewise I got one as well and had a quick play in the garden, but need to find a couple of tree to really have a go(washing line poles won't take me weight;) ).

Only problem I've got is that I have a Hennessy tarp and I'll not sure how to use/fit it to this hammock:confused:

Richard

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
Hi Dan,

I've just got back from a couple of weeks hammocking round France and Spain and can tell you, that I use the evenk hitch/and the other one, round the tree and back on itself Ray mears stylee knots to put my hammock up, always have, even before I saw his vids... and my mate camping with me, generally used a bow like you would put in your shoe laces.
My hammock never slipped and neither did his, in 15 nights of varied trees of varied textures.

I did however fall out a couple of times due to dutch lager (8.2%) which I would not recommend supping before attempting to get a comfy nights sleep!

I can't believe you have manage to tie together the red tape associated with trapping some Crayfish, I got the trap , got the paperwork and when I realised that I could only apply for 1 days fishing gave up.

Hope your net is full of big fat yankee crays!!!

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Hi Dan,

I've just got back from a couple of weeks hammocking round France and Spain and can tell you, that I use the evenk hitch/and the other one, round the tree and back on itself Ray mears stylee knots to put my hammock up, always have, even before I saw his vids... and my mate camping with me, generally used a bow like you would put in your shoe laces.
My hammock never slipped and neither did his, in 15 nights of varied trees of varied textures.

I did however fall out a couple of times due to dutch lager (8.2%) which I would not recommend supping before attempting to get a comfy nights sleep!

I can't believe you have manage to tie together the red tape associated with trapping some Crayfish, I got the trap , got the paperwork and when I realised that I could only apply for 1 days fishing gave up.

Hope your net is full of big fat yankee crays!!!

No such red tape from the EA round here, just called them they emailed me the forms sent them back and had a licence within 7 days - you have to specify a stretch of water though but overall I found the guys at the EA really helpful. the next step was getting land owbers permission also a peice of cake emailed them and had permission within the hour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE