Maya sticks for firelighting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
While I've been ferreting around for information on firelighting, tinders, hobo stoves and the like, I've been seeing references to Maya sticks - a resinous wood from guatemala (?) By chance I've picked some up today but haven't had time to play yet. Anyone know if you can light this wood from a (modern) firesteel if you shred it fine enough ? Ta. Alick

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Never tried myself but it would have to be very fine. I split the sticks down and light them. Once they are going they are great but sometimes they can be a bit of a pain to get going.

If you find a good pine stump you can make your own :mrgreen:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use kindling cut from old railway sleepers for our household fire. Some of these seem to be pine and are saturated with creosote and/or tar, so I chop some much smaller than usual and keep them in my pack in a poly bag. Burn well, light easily and work out much cheaper than maya sticks.
Be careful not to get splinters from them because they fester like crazy.

Dave

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
You certainly can spark-light fatwood shavings if they're fine enough. "Light My Fire" market the stuff as "Maya Dust," but at about three quid for a small tin it's hardly a necessity. Far better to shred your own in advance and carry it in a Zip-Loc or a film canister.

Incidentally, the naturally occurring stuff is widely used in northern America and a great favourite with residents in places like Maine, whether they camp or not. Lots of wood-burning stoves over there, and plenty of thrifty people.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Proof of the pudding:
So I made half a thimblefull of maya dust by sawing at a stick with the woodsaw on my leatherman... Whittled a few splinters ready to throw on top and started throwing sparks at it. The "dust" was pretty coarse so it took about twenty strikes before a spark landed just right, then off we go. No problem lighting small sticks of the stuff from the first flame. Burns just like a smokey candle. Great. Thanks Jack. :biggthump

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Glad to hear that the experiment worked. On the other hand, I was out today and managed to spark some fatwood shavings with great success, then utterly failed to light anything from them, resulting in one cold meal, several spooked cows and a section of the woods looking like a stage effect from "Spinal Tap." I could blame the heavy rains lately, but no, the culprit was basically me not getting it together.

A

Anonymous

No problem lighting a maya stick with a firesteel, just scrape it to make a pile of shavings and strike away.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Maya sticks can be shaven (feathered) and lighted that way or split down thin and lighted with a match or shaven into a saw dust and sparked on.

Interestingly enough you can find or make your own - if you find a damaged pine that has lived long enough after damage for the scar etc to be full of resin - pine knots are similar things and burn well.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Some of the outdoor/garden centres have something like the Maya sticks. I have seen them going cheap as they sell off the BBQ, patio heater stuff. I got some last year and it was only about £2.50 a pack in the sale and I still have some left as I split it down into thin bits.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Have a look at Orvis:
http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/produc...cat_id=1&Dir_id=583&Group_id=725&feature_id=5

They carry sacks of "Fat lighter" pine wood from the USA. I reckon that it is a better deal per stick than buying it in little bunches. After picking through my sack I was able to give the rest as a gift to a friend with an open fire. They love the stuff!

Think it is basically the same as Maya sticks, can light the scrapings with a fire steal no problem.

Chris

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
if you contact rob from this site he sells the above and others at bloody good prices........and he's a nice bloke too!

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i used to have a hard time lighting mayawood, but after some practise i could light scrapped mayawood with one strike using the full lenght of mine swedish firesteel, now after a lot more practise i can even light mayawood scrapped with a P-38 and lighted by a bcb rangerflint with the same P-38 as striker. however that is in mine kitchen... building a fire in the local park close where i life is almost garantied to urn a fine. no really woody place nearby...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE