Maya Sticks & Fire Lighting...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 13, 2012
Abermule
Hi All,

Been watching a few video's on YouTube lately and wanted to say how cool Maya sticks are, I've never known of them before but what a cool way to carry resin in the pumped pine wood....

Does anyone know of good bushcraft channels on youtube for such things as bushcraft survival, cooking etc...

I bought a few from ebay and they have such a nice smell as well....

Be good to fine myself a chopped down pine tree to gather my own fatwood....

Regards

Dave.

Craig88

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Kingston Upon Hull
Hey Dave, Yeah those "fatwood" sticks are good aren't they. I have a couple of packs in at the moment much, much better than that dust they pass off as tinder. As for YouTube channels i recommend highly a channel called wildernessoutfitters He is American so all the basic skills transfer just unfortunately not so much of the wild edibles and stuff like that. Hope this helps!

Craig

Jul 13, 2012
Abermule
Hi Craig.

I know... what person in their right mind would buy that dust stuff, having the wood and resin combined into a stick makes for a much better burning fuel...

Thanks for the YouTube recommendation as well, I'll check it out and I've got a few I like to watch as well, I'll post the names on here...

Check out buddy burners, I'm gonna make a couple with melted candle wax mixed with parafin and vasoline, cardboard and wicks soaked in parafin, also stick some maya stick wood sliced up in amongst the cardboard for good measure...

Jul 13, 2012
Abermule
I think I bought 8 sticks for about £3 including postage from eBay so quite happy with that price, maybe vasoline and cotton wool would be about £1 to £1.50 ish but not that much more expensive...

I don't see the point in buying it when cotton wool and Vaseline is cheaper. Finding it however is a lot more appealing.

Craig88

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Kingston Upon Hull
very good point i think however that because finding it can be a challenge and some of us cant easily find it having the option to buy it is about all we have haha. Although i must also agree and say that going on a hunt for some is indeed very appealing

Craig88

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Kingston Upon Hull
Hi Craig.

I know... what person in their right mind would buy that dust stuff, having the wood and resin combined into a stick makes for a much better burning fuel...

Thanks for the YouTube recommendation as well, I'll check it out and I've got a few I like to watch as well, I'll post the names on here...

Check out buddy burners, I'm gonna make a couple with melted candle wax mixed with parafin and vasoline, cardboard and wicks soaked in parafin, also stick some maya stick wood sliced up in amongst the cardboard for good measure...

very good point i think however that because finding it can be a challenge and some of us cant easily find it having the option to buy it is about all we have haha. Although i must also agree and say that going on a hunt for some is indeed very appealing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE