Matts Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Made my first jerky today.

I used thinly sliced fillet steak dry marinaded in some mexican spiced salt and cayenne pepper that I bought from Aldi for 36p each.

It was lovely - well that's what the kids told me. I think I need to do more next time.:D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Well done Matt, did my first batch the other day too....Pre soaked in veg oil, beef oxo cube, loads of tabasco and a few garlic cloves.....

I did mine wet , it was very nice indeed , I just threw all sorts into a bowl with a bit of soy sauce white wine vinegar left it a few hours in in the oven on 50 with the door open a bit ,
I haven't got round to making more yet though , the last log I scoffed within 2 days of making it :)

S

shaunmcdonald

Plenty of time Matt before delamere to make some more :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I prefer a wet marinade to be honest - and 24 hours to soak. Although by wet I mean a few tablespoons for 5lbs of beef!

Red

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Plenty of time Matt before delamere to make some more :D

Plenty of time is a bad thing Shaun! I mean, we are talking a couple minutes from the moment it came out to the bowl being empty and I was asked to make more next time, a lot more. So as regards Delamere which is about 40 minutes from home I think I need to make some then hide it extremely well or there's no chance :D

As I said I used fillet steak which is obviously expensive yet worth it. Can anyone recommend a cheaper cut that gives a similar result? I get the impression that the leaner the better or rather it keeps better.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Matt,

So long as its lean its fine. I've had great result with the "minute steak" you can get cheap in some supermarkets

Phil,

Tabasco, Dark Soy, Crushed Garlic, Black Pepper, Dried Red Chilli, Barbecue Spice. No oils or Vinegar - just that. Mix up enough so that sealed in a bag with the meat and squished with the hands, there is a small amount of liquid left. Roll with rolling pin (gently) and squish with the hands again. Repeat this over a 24 hour period a few times. I like using a bag as you can manipulate the meat and marinade to really drive falvours into the meat

Red

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Oops. Just remembered I said I'd send you some smoke powder! Sorry. It's completely slipped my mind. I'll sort it out this week.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
No worries Neil :D

Red - aiye, I almost went for that in the supermarket but I compared the unappetising pale pinkyness of it to the mouthwateringly darkness of the fillet and that was that. I will defo try the quick fry steak next.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Cheers Neil, I got it yesterday :D

That's one job in the kitchen this weekend. This time I'll get a picture before it all gets scoffed. I may do a test test and do one batch of my own recipe and one of smoke powder.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Matt, how long did it take? I've been told to leave the oven door open about 1/4 to let the humidty out rather than keeping it all in (as seen on the articles bit on this site). It took me about 8 hours, but I did marinade wet for about 6 hours first...

Jon, glad to see you've started making jerky, did you try some of mine in cornwall?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE