Matting to sit woodburner on

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I'm looking for some sort of lightweigt (ish) and portable matting to sit a woodburning stove on in a tent. about 1m x 1m should be big enough.

Mainly just something to collect any embers falling out the door and I suppose to collect embers in the unlikely event of the stove bottom failing.

I've thought of just a fire blanket or a welding mat, but has anyone any other suggestions. Or comments on my suggested options.

Thanks,

Graham

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
If it's just to keep the tent warm, then maybe some kind of hanging device would do the job. It could even have it's own tray fixed underneath - pie dish for instance. Just thinking aloud here.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
If it's just to keep the tent warm, then maybe some kind of hanging device would do the job. It could even have it's own tray fixed underneath - pie dish for instance. Just thinking aloud here.

Well, I also thought the mat would act as a place to store the logs and keep the chips that always fall of logs in one place, and the stove is 580mm long so it needs to be something of a reasonable size. So I rather like the idea of a mat of some sort.

But a tray on the ground at the door would work well enough for that aspect of catching any embers falling out the door.

Graham

Paradiddle

Jun 14, 2011
West Midlands
I agree with the canvas idea. But having a woodburner in a tent seems a bit dangerous..

Perhaps a pie dish (or two) with a fire retardant canvas under. I think the backpacking light people use a welding mat. Apparently available in DIY stores.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I agree with the canvas idea. But having a woodburner in a tent seems a bit dangerous..

Perhaps a pie dish (or two) with a fire retardant canvas under. I think the backpacking light people use a welding mat. Apparently available in DIY stores.

Plumbers mats are used for small wood burning hobo type stoves, the type used backpacking, but not big enough for tent woodburner, hence my suggestion of using a welding mat which come in larger sizes. Both are available off ebay.

Graham

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
This is what I use for my honey stove

You can see one in action on Twodogs recent Norway Trip
073.jpg

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I use a bit of 8" sqaure ally plate with my Honey stove. It is just big enough to fit in the bag that the Hive extension came in, if you know what I mean. It's light, wont burn even with lots of embers on it & is a usefull bit of kit to have sometimes, as you can shovel & scrape with it. When I am done, I douse the embers/ash bits with water, then turn out onto the metal sheet. Leave to cool & douse again. Works well for me.

Dunno about a bigger stove. I thought hese Tentpi type stoves were self contained & on legs, so did not need a fireproof base.

For larger fires I use a Tesco baking tin that sits in a portable BBQ holder. The base iof the pan sits a few inches above the floor and at about 14"x8" I can have quite a big fire in it; you can even pick it up & move it. Best thing about this is that you just filll it up withn water when you are done & you know that fire is out, as eveything is swimming in 2" of water. Folds down small & is pretty light for a medium sized fire dish

Last edited:

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I use a bit of 8" sqaure ally plate with my Honey stove. It is just big enough to fit in the bag that the Hive extension came in, if you know what I mean. It's light, wont burn even with lots of embers on it & is a usefull bit of kit to have sometimes, as you can shovel & scrape with it. When I am done, I douse the embers/ash bits with water, then turn out onto the metal sheet. Leave to cool & douse again. Works well for me.

Dunno about a bigger stove, maybe judt ligt the grass up?

I am hoping not to light anything up !! But I use a metal plate or tray very much as you do, with my honey stove and yukon firebox.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I used a plumbers mat , didnt work :( burnt though after a few burns.
looking for something else now
Twodogs

That's worth knowing. Not that it would be the same for just catching the odd ember, but I did think this would work as a base for a honey stove.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE