Mats that work with hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I am (to this point) a tarp and hammock fair weather user and just have a mkI everyday foam mat which I use with my DD hammock which is fine. I want to look at getting sorted for early autumn hanging and was all set to get a hammock underblanket but wondered if I could invest in something like Thermarest and use it for when I'm in a tent at Cub camp etc.

Last summer I went on a Woodland Ways bushcraft weekend and took a self inflating mat for a hammock and debris shelter night...I found the hammock night a bit...erm...lumpy as the self inflating mat didn't seem to mould to my shape as well as the foam mat.

I started looking through threads on here but I haven't found a mat thread specifc to hammocks so if possible I'd like to hear if anyone uses a specific make of mat to hang or all the mats below too thick to use with a hammock?. My first thought is a thermarest one and I noticed this extra wide one as an example
Extra wide Thermarest http://www.webtogs.co.uk/Thermarest_Basecamp__Extra_Large__100994.html

I've also found this Extra wide Alpkit mat http://www.alpkit.com/sleeping-mats

I did also look at a wide Exped down mat http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/exped_downmat_7_lw_with_integrated_pump.html but £130 is a bit prohibitive :D

All the above are good makes but are they too thick to use with a hammock?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used both self inflating mats and down mats in my hammock (an old Ray Mears Eco system one) without issues.
A coffin shaped self infating mat was probably the best fit inside the hammock :)

garethw

Settler
I used a self inflator for a few months, but opted int he end for the Snugpak Underquilt. It is very snug and warm and really makes a difference. Even though I was never cold with the mat, it was always a little uncomfortable and didn't cover all of the underside.
It pack up about the same size and my mat too.
cheers
Gareth

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a vango self inflating and thats fine for me. I tried an underblanket but couldnt get on with it. Got fed up of it flicking out of place when i turned over. Both are of a similar size but the blanket is way lighter i can also use the mat if i need to kip on the floor.

streetcleaner

Nov 17, 2009
lancashire
I have also had this problem but i think i have found the soloution i am lucky enough to have access to all types of mats and have tried most, all are th same and move exatily where you dont want them too...
I have recently started using a reindeer hide and all i can say is wow!!!!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have also had this problem but i think i have found the soloution i am lucky enough to have access to all types of mats and have tried most, all are th same and move exatily where you dont want them too...

Putting a zig zag bead of clear silicon bathroom sealant down the length of the mat can often help stop it moving.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
Ok, i've been hammocking for nearly 3 years now and i've been using a DD camping hammock with a full length self-inflating roll mat for 2 of those. i find that if i lay the mat on top of the hammock it's disappeared by the morning but if i slide it inside the hammock and zip it shut it stays exactly where I want it. maybe the problem is the hammock instead of the roll mat. (no affiliation etc) just an idea.

Warthogiam

Jan 15, 2012
Chesterfield
I use an unbranded foam roll mat cut in half and have never had any problems with cold or movement even during cold winter months. I found thermarest too rigid and moved about too much.
Half a mat protects the lumber area adequately and there is no excess floating about to try and stuff into the hammock.
I use a DD camping hammock and slot it in between the two layers.
Another benefit is you get two for the price of one when you buy a full size foam mat!

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
The waterproof DD hammocks have a shiny coated layer. I find that it doesn't slide around in between the 2 layers.

To stop my mat sliding around in a tent I put drops of silicon and smoothed them in. I did this on both sides because I slide around on top too. It's ugly but it works.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains

Do you use two reindeer hides to account for your whole body length or is one enough ? I am asking as I recently got a hammock and am also trying to figure out what I will use for under insulation

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I use a Vango 3/4 self-inflating mat and it works pretty well! First hang of the year this weekend so hopefully it's as comfy as I remember!

Thanks for that, So I am guessing that a full length mat is not really necessary then ? and its just for the body area ?

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
I tried a large-size neoair (60 or 65cm ? x 196cm) in a frontline hammock and it would barely fit inside the hammock. I did not try the space between the layers. I slept (or at least tried to sleep) by the sea with quite a bit of wind in 0 degrees and I felt cold from underneath. A survival (foil) blanket would probably have been a good thing to have. The added width that is nice when sleeping on the hard ground did not seem like it added any comfort but a little warmth on my sides. Two regular foam sleeping pads side by side would have been so much more comfy and a lot cheaper and lighter weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE