Match cases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
AJB,

Just a few comments about my K&M cases (I am an interested party remember.... :) )

I have been carrying and using some of my K&M cases for over 15 years. I have never had one fail to keep my matches dry. Early versions had compass problems though. I generally do keep my plastic cap over the compass but none of my early versions came with this cover and for the most part these are doing fine except for some bubbles.

Silva markets a screwtop version using much of the same format as the K&M but only has one o-ring. Keith found that brass and aluminum are too prone to galling with a screwtop seal so decided on the press-fit stopper with tension cord as the best all around method.

If you lube the o-rings too much the stopper can pop out if you do not use the tension cords to hold it in place. I am so used to twisting these open and closed that I find I do it without any thought at all.

The compass Keith currently is using is the standard Suunto compass found in the wrist watch attachment version Suunto sells. I cannot remember exactly what they call this but that little button compass can be removed from the housing and used in the cases if you ever have a reason to do so.

My oldest matchcase is a chrome plated EverDry that one belonged to my Grandfather. It has a twist seal top and is a bugger to open....I still like it though as it reminds me of some of the things we used to do together.

atraildreamer

May 10, 2006
Providence, RI, USA
I don't know if they sell them In England, but in the states you can buy M&M minis candy in plastic tubes. There are 2 sizes available and the smaller size makes an excellent matchcase--various colors, waterproof, and will float! :)

(And you get to eat the candy! :D )

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I use a shotgun cartridge match box. Get 2 freshly shot cartridges, preferably from a .12 gauge, take the brass bottom of one, by heating it with a candle and it should fit quite snug onto the top of the other cartridge. A little wax on the end helps give it a watertight seal.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
old american army match safes are good and even have a flint on the base - normally I sling the box in a snap seal bag and tuck away in the back trouser pocket till needed.

the white film cans are better than the black ones as they done pop open so easy

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
I always use a urine specimine tube, 70p from the local chemist. If it will hold p**s without leaking in your pocket, I figured it would keep my matches and striker dry. :D

Jun 12, 2005
English Midlands
being old I have a old 35mm film container it is made of aluminium has a screw top with waterproof seal. I have glued a piece of sandpaper on the base. It cost me nothing. If you can find the cans in junk shops they are very usefull

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
interesting thread, being a tight arsed scotsman i use an 35mm film container with strikers superglued on the outside and one internally turned upside down in the lid(if that make sense)

..for some reason i really want one of those brass ones however.. group buy perhaps??

hmmmm.

atraildreamer

May 10, 2006
Providence, RI, USA
seamonkey said:
with strikers superglued on the outside and one internally turned upside down in the lid(if that make sense)

That is a great idea! :You_Rock_ I never really trusted the striker on the outside type of matchcase. Too much of a chance of the striker falling off, getting dirty or wet. I'll be glueing strikers (sandpaper) on both the outside and inside of a tube of M&M minis, as soon as I empty the container (Yum!) :)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Ah, trouble is though, there beautiful match cases, but can you get them without the compasses? They always go duff those little button compasses - I use a good old Silva one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
These ar Suntos mate - not cheap rubbish -as good as Silva (who do a fair range of button compasses BTW)

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've just got a K&M in brass, well made, nice kit and super service from across the pond. I'm using a small Nokia phone case, £1 from the market, to carry it in; fits well and you can clip it on your belt or use the belt loop
KM1.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's a lot bigger then I thought it would be if it fits in a case for a mobile phone!! Any chance of a photo with the top off showing how many matches can be crammed in there?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The match case is 4" X 3/4", the phone case is for a very small phone, it says c55 inside. With the case its 4" X 1 1/2 " At the moment I have about 30 standard England's Glory, 6 windproof and a strip of lighting pad in the tube. Hope that helps Spamel

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
atraildreamer said:
That is a great idea! :You_Rock_ I never really trusted the striker on the outside tyupe of matchcase. Too much of a chance of the striker falling off, getting dirty or wet. I'll be glueing strikers (sandpaper) on both the outside and inside of a tube of M&M minis, as soon as I empty the container (Yum!) :)

glad to be of service ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE