Match Case With Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Neil....sometimes those strings have an amazing knot...take your time...maybe get the keeper of the string a case.

Keith is sold out of Orange cases...

There are still quite a few Yellow and of course black and brass are unlimited.

Classic Brass
kmbrass65328ar.jpg

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
I have just ordered 4!!!

(one is for my bruv STOTRE!, don't tell him!)

I am like a little kid! :D

and can't wait to show SWMBO!!! :eek:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've just ordered 3, havent told SWMBO just yet, I find its usually easier to order something and then beg forgiveness afterwards.... thats if she see' it arrive, if not it'll be a case of ... had it ages...

Well I do have to look after my health!

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Lithril said:
I've just ordered 3, havent told SWMBO just yet, I find its usually easier to order something and then beg forgiveness afterwards.... thats if she see' it arrive, if not it'll be a case of ... had it ages...
I just ordered 2 - must not make purchases after drinking home made wine :rolleyes: I also use the "had it ages" excuse, but as a last resort equivalent to "we both know I am lying, you have caught me out, I am sorry, but we know how weak I am," but only when the post arrives on her day off. :(

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Schwert said:
<snip>

These are:

Brass, Black anodized aluminium, orange powdercoated aluminium, and yellow powdercoated aluminium.

Keith is not going to offer any powdercoated cases after these are gone. Sometime (maybe) in the future he will do other colors of anodizing....but has no definate plans at this point.

The brass case weighs about 3 times what the aluminum ones do and feels a bit more sturdy. As much as I like the traditional brass, my vest pocket seems to really appreciate the lighter aluminum. I have to confess I bought several orange and yellow for myself...I really like the bright paint. But Keith found it a real pain as it coated the o-ring grooves which had to be handcleaned. Anodizing is a much more durable finish too, but the colors are more muted.

I have had requests to do longer and fatter cases for cigars, olive drab ones, orange anodized, electrojazz anodizing, bare aluminium, magnesium, and probably other things that I cannot remember. Keith has heard all the suggestions and design and manufacturing are in his hands...so I await future developments with an open wallet. :D

I just got mine, but are these powercoated or painted... The Orange is flaking off in places on mine... Also, the Orange one had only one spare o-ring and no spare cord, but I do not even know if they are a standard feature, just that the other two had a spare cord and two spare o-rings...

I did not realize that the were push fit and not screw down!
I have another one that I bought somewhere that is black and VERY heavy, but has a screw cap with a rotating rubber ring that the cord goes through... I never could figure out why the cord was like it was... Now I know... They copied this type right down to the twist-the-cord cap lock, but changed it to a screw top, which made the twist-the-cord cap lock totally useless!

I really like these and was shocked at how light the non-brass ones were...You can hardly tell you are caring it!

Some people were saying you should carry plastic match safes so that you can step on them to break them open if your hands are too cold, but because these do not have a screw cap, if your hands are too cold to open it, then they will be too cold to even HOLD a match!

My matches are (of course) on average 1mm(!!!!) too long to fit stright in, though you can fit a few in at an angle...
I will have to cut them down a bit.

One suggestion... The other one I have has a little closed cell foam pad at the bottom to keep the heads from rubbing around and so they have a LITTLE give if the top is screwed down too tight...This would be a nice addition, along with making it a LITTLE longer.

Overall, I am VERY pleased though!!!

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I got mine this morning :)

Filled it with NATO standard lifeboat matches but they require their own striker to be carried also (sealed in plastic for safety). Not an ideal long term solution so I'll be looking for something to replace them with.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I found something GP.
A friend has just returned from Scotland(the northern end of the Empire) and brought me back some decent strike anywhere matches. They are called SCOTTISH BLUEBELL MATCHES,
They are imported and distributed(to Scotland) by a firm from High Wycombe called The Swedish Match company.
The heads are a striking shade of woad blue and the shaft is a decent length (little bravehearts)
In England I can only find Swan Vestas which are short with a pink head and white body,like an English tourist in a hot country.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Those BlueBells sound good. Why only Scotland though I wonder?

James, according to Keith the orange and yellow cases are powdercoated. These are all old stock with new compasses installed and he will not be making them anymore because they are less durable than anodizing (plus they present fit-up problems with the o-rings).

I have never had to change out any o-rings or lanyard cords, but they are supposed to come with a complete spare set. Your orange case was very close to the end of them so it may have just slipped through the cracks with only one spare o-ring.

I will put an o-ring and spare cord in the mail tomorrow for you though just in case you ever need it.

As for the chipping...yup that will happen on the painted cases, but my guess is that a decade from now it will still be easier to find in the forest duff than a black anodized one.

The press fit plug is part of Keith's brill design IMO. The screwtop imitation case has not found favor with me either.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Bryant and May still do normal matches, a little longer than swan vestas, I just got some from the supermarket and I think they still do cooks matches, but they will need cutting down. But be careful you dont overpack the matches, the other type are called safety matches for a reason!

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Mine arrived yesterday afternoon at work - dead chuffed with the brass and alu ones I ordered :D . As was the security chap who'd x-rayed them, got a bit suspicious of what might be in the metal tubes, and interrogated me as to what they were :rolleyes:

Quick question tho, I know it's a match case & probably sacrilege to say this...but does anyone know as a source of small, round bic-type lighters that might fit in? Do they even exist? Had an idea that I could fill approx 50% with a round candle and the rest with a tiny lighter...

Thanks to Keith & Schwert!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
NickBristol said:
Quick question tho, I know it's a match case & probably sacrilege to say this...but does anyone know as a source of small, round bic-type lighters that might fit in? Do they even exist? Had an idea that I could fill approx 50% with a round candle and the rest with a tiny lighter...

Thanks to Keith & Schwert!

Don't worry about it. I have everything EXCEPT matches in mine. A pencil, firesteel, two plasters, small sewing kit, scalpel blade, two safety pins and some fishing hooks, line and weights. Still got a little room left too. Just need to sort out some tinder.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I have a brass one that will stay forever as a matchcase... with hand carved matches, wrapped in the softest cotton wool, all bundled in a copy of the MatchStrikers Prayer ("Please Strike you little b*****s" - repeated once for each match you carry)

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Please Strike you little b*****s

:D

Good luck on the lighter. I have never encountered a lighter that would fit, but a Sparklite or the cut down top from a lighter could fit, of course you would need cotton/vaseline tinder to use the spark only option.

Did the x-ray guard turn out wanting one after finally seeing them?

All my stuff is x-rayed on our loading dock...most of the guys want to see my stuff....I have tried to keep them my friends. I have 109 knives arriving soon...I cannot wait to see what happens that day :eek:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Ah...I wondered if that would make some eyebrows rise.

Of course, it is another one of my crazy group buy projects.

This one is for a set of inexpensive knives ranging from carving tools to outdoor knives. Murphy Knives, makes a huge assortment of tools for leather works, mill workers, industrial kitchens and a few old designs that were once marketed by George L. Herter over here. A handful of pals got this order together and I "get" to coordinate :D

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Keith has just returned from Montana and we are trying to clear out the shipment backlog ASAP.

This time he spent 3 weeks there and we are a bit behind with orders.

I have received several email inquries about the order status. Hopefully all cases orders to date will be shipped this week. Sorry about the delay.

Should anyone want to contact me about pending orders, or to place new orders, feel free to email me at

rlschaffer@gmail.com

Thanks,

Randy

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Keith currently has some Red anodized aluminum cases available. These are not super bright like the powdercoated cases, but a deep dark ruby red.

Also clear anodized (bare aluminium color) will also be available soon along with some other anodized colors.

Once samples arrive I will shoot some images and post.

Orders for the "new" Red (actually old stock cases with new compasses) along with the usual black anodized aluminium, brass and still a few yellow powdercoated aluminium cases are still being taken.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE