Market Wallet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having acquired a piece of heavy flax linen for nowt I was wondering what to make from it, roughly 2 foot by 3 foot after a hot wash and dry.

On another thread someone's mentioned a market wallet and a quick google found me instructions for making one and that the linen I had would be just enough for the job.

in short a market wallet is a very simple piece of luggage popular in the 18th century, well before and after as well, a length of fabric folded into the middle length ways with the ends sewn shut and then the centre seam is sewn leaving a gap in the middle.

image.jpg1_zpsqj88o5xv.jpg

The items to be carried are stored in either end and the centre section with the opening is twisted to close it up. The whole thing is then slung over a shoulder or around the neck. Larger ones were used like saddle bags, especially for horse feed and you could of course carry them anyway you wanted like under the flap of a bag or tucked under a belt.

image.jpg2_zpsxhcz0azk.jpg

A few have survived in museums and there's plenty of contemporary illustrations of them , some posher ones are lined with ticking or were marked to identify them. I thought it would be a useful way to increase the capacity of my still to be used period trekking kit and a simple thing to get me back into sewing. It's not my smallest or neatest stitching and my hand was very stiff by the end of it but I'm happy with it.

The finished article is 11.5 inches by 35 inches, all hand sewn with strong linen thread, hemmed around the opening, centre seam flat felled and the ends double sewn with the edges folded inside so they won't fray

ATB

Tom

PS forgot to say that there's stong bar tacks either side of the opening to stop it ripping open.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think they're great things and have made a good few over the years and use them a lot in Summer when I want my pockets empty in the lightweight clothes I wear. I've made them from all sorts of stuff like legs from trousers to bits of material found in charity shops; I usually attach a loop at one end and a cord at t'other so as to be able to stop the two ends from wobbling around and to stop slippage from the shoulder when bending or moving around.

Much better than a shoulder bag in my view, I don't like the lack of balance with those and I detest having anything across my chest bandalier-stylee, these get rid of both problems and can hold a surprising amount of kit very comfortably, with the added bonus of instant access to the most needed things you carry.

I'll be very interested to see the results of your endeavours :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! A excellent idea with regards to the cord to stop it sliding off.

I've a few more related projects in mind. Next I fancy making a waterproof / protective cover for my bedding roll. Not essential i know but I just fancy the idea.

I've finally got some sycamore that's big enough to turn a hat block suitable for my big fat head from so once my hands up to roughing it out with the reciprocating saw ill get that made up. I've ended up with a few wool felt hat blanks and from a visit to a milliners supplier in Oldham where herself went a bit looney on a fabulous fur felt one that cost a absolute fortune. I've enough proper worsted wool tape to edge two hats that was generously given me by the manufacturer when I was sniffing about seeing if they sold small amounts directly to the public and a pint of professional felt stiffener so I won't have to mess about with spray starch or, gawd help me, sugar water!

i've probably enough carrying capacity but if I can get one I intend making a hairy goatskin back pack like in Pierre Turners book.

Footware remains a problem. For me moccasins are fine for around camp but no way would I be happy to walk any distance in them so at present I have either hobnailed amo' boots or clogs. Making Proper 18th C shoes is beyond my skill level and pocket and the amount of time, effort and practice materials I'd need to expend just to make a pair or two means its just not going to happen. Functionally the amo boots are close enough so I'd get the experience but it just don't sit right with me

atb

Tom

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice work Tom, eduational as always and a pleasure seeing your work. Funny I still find it hard to believe that pockets as we know then are relatively modern.
Be good to see the hat when you get to it.
Quite like the idea of the market wallet for travelling. Would be a handy and safe did of kit.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ta! I'm wondering about making one from something like the heavier sort of pertex to use as a roll up shopping bag. Machine stitched for speed. I hate carrier bags mainly as they tend to try and cut my hand in two, don't even like th hessian reusable ones. Something I can carry front and back over a shoulder would be just the job.

found a nice painting of one in use in the 1760s

http://vintagevisions27.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-challenge-event-1775-coris-clothing.html

atb

tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE