Marbles sunfish stag bone knife, any thoughts on this one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I was having a look around for a 'classic' looking edc knife and came across this one by marbles.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P...History=basket

At first it looks a bit silly and fat..(chode!) but it's actually quite large and hefty, I did a youtube search and found one video but not in english.. however the knife is big and meaty! and looks very cool, you could hear the blade snap into place so clearly it has a firm slip joint mech and the company has a solid rep ofr cheap good quality knives from waht i can see.

So does anyone have one? or any experience with one?

I'm quite tempted but any input will be appreciated!

Cheers

here's the youtube video .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYMH2ZLNSRg

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Samon:
The old original Marble's knives were first rate knives and are worth quite a bit these days. Marble's went out of business years ago but has reincarnated itself in recent years. The current production knives are for the most part 440 stainless steel and are manufactured in China. The Sunfish sells here in the U.S. for about 20.00 dollars US. They are not "bad" knives but they are not "great" knives either. Personally, I don't favor stainless for most applications, although I have a couple of very good ones.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm not the biggest fan of cheap stainless either but it doesn't seem like carbon steel is an option..

I've had plenty of 440 blades in the past and even though I don't think much of it aslong as the knife is solid and put together well then I don't really mind.

I will browse the US eBay for fancier branded models in this design but I still think this one will make a nice edc knife aslong as it's sturdy.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
From what i've read these are now made by the same factory as the roughrider range - they seem to get decent reviews for the prices paid

I quite fancied one of their Safety Knives but couldn't image when i would carry it

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
ive got the rough riders elephants toenail knife which looks exactly the same but only £12 . leagal carry and quite a hefty knife which fills up your hand ! nice solid opening and closing sound too.

cheers andrew.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Samon,

What I meant to add to my last post was, for that money, go for it. I think it would make a great EDC and with that blade, spreading marmalade on your toast would not be an issue!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Well I've been looking around for a classic styled edc legal knife for a while now and it does seem most of them come in stainless steel.

I'm still having a look around but a sunfish in carbon steel for a good rpice is what I'm after.. and maybe a trapper..

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've never considered the sunfish to be all that practical. Big, clunky lumps in your pocket. High in cool factor but from a practical standpoint, there are much better knives. If you are looking for carbon, Case, Great Eastern Cutlery, and others make great carbon steel slips (for Case, their carbon line is designated as CV for chrome vanadium). Tons of old ones out there on ebay here. Close to you, Trevor Ablett makes some pretty sturdy carbon steel knives. Boker does too. Hard to beat a good Boker.

Here are some of my Bokers.

bokers1b.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've never considered the sunfish to be all that practical. Big, clunky lumps in your pocket. High in cool factor but from a practical standpoint, there are much better knives. If you are looking for carbon, Case, Great Eastern Cutlery, and others make great carbon steel slips (for Case, their carbon line is designated as CV for chrome vanadium). Tons of old ones out there on ebay here. Close to you, Trevor Ablett makes some pretty sturdy carbon steel knives. Boker does too. Hard to beat a good Boker.

Here are some of my Bokers.

View attachment 7796

nice stuff there mate!

The problem with alot of these knives is they won't be uk edc legal and that's going to be their job!

the US sellers also rarely show the blade lengths..

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nice stuff there mate!

The problem with alot of these knives is they won't be uk edc legal and that's going to be their job!

the US sellers also rarely show the blade lengths..

not at all - there are plenty that have a cutting edge <3"

I've a very nice northwoods straighjack too that fits the bill perfectly

I'd also recommend the joker range

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE