Mapping Hand Held Gps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stiks

Mar 21, 2006
N. Wales
Now don't go shouting at me, I can navigate using a map!!

I'm also getting into Geochaching. I have an old Garmin12 but fancy a new toy ;)

I thought it might be nice to get one that can take/use high detail topo maps like OS.
I see that Garmin have got together with OS and produced Garmin GB Discoverer.
These run on the Oregon 400t which is also suposed to be good for Geocaching.
The detail is suposed to be good (although quite expensive) showing paths, rights of way etc.
It might be nice to have these on a small hand held GPS plus the obvious GPS nav stuff.

Many seem to prefer the Garmin 60CSx for the brighter screen amongst a few other things but I don't think it's compatible with Garmin GB Discoverer maps.

Anyone got any experience with the Oregon 400t? and/or the Garmin GB Discoverer micro SD maps?

I have no experience with the Oregon. I can suggest the Garmin Etrex HCX brilliant. I have used dozens of Garmin and Magellens as I spent 2 years training people to use GPS and previously owned a GPSmap 60SCx. The Etrex HCx is light, compact & a battery life of around 30 hours on 2 AA bateries is excellent.

My $0.02 worth

Regards

Dan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE