Mango Chutney Recipe

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just for firecrest!

Mango chutney is a starter to a good Indian meal - served with poppadoms (kind of large round crisp) its sort of "chips and dips" if you like.

It also goes great in a sandwich or with cold meats and cheeses.

Ingredients

1924200761_d90a5cf772.jpg

Two large mangoes - they should feel soft tot he touch and smeel sweet when sniffed

1/2 tsp salt

1 large cooking apple

1/2 pint malt vinegar

1 cup raw cane sugar

1 large onion (finely chopped)

2 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed

2 inches of fresh ginger peeled and grated.

First step is to peel the mangoes - I use my boning knife as I do for pineapples - a large fruit needs a large sharp knife

1925035662_0e35b2bf9a.jpg

Next chop the mango into small chunks. Work around the fibrous "stone (which is flat) in the middle and discard this. You need your mango flesh yellow and uicy. Any white bits are unripe - chuck 'em. Sprinkle the salt over the mango.

1925042272_f31b12491f.jpg

After this finely dice the onion. Peel the ginger (if it looks woody and fibrous its old stuff - buy some fresh that oozes uice) and grate using a fine grater. Cut the top and tail off your garlic and crush it using the falt of your knife blade and a fist (careful now). Finely chop the garlic and add it. Peel and core the apple and finely dice the flesh and add that.

1925046922_20c4893c88.jpg

Put the vinegar and sugar in a pan and bring to the boil. Stir constantly to avoid the sugar sticking.

Add the bowl of chopped mango, apple, onion, garlic and ginger. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a slow simmer. Simmer for an hour stirring regularly and frequently as it thickens.

1925049834_deb1dcd002.jpg

With ten minutes cooking time to go, warm some mason jars in the oven. When the chutney is finished, spoon whilst stirring into the jars and screw on fresh seals and rings.

1924234277_ae9b91aa09.jpg

Mango chutney tastes like liquid sunshine.

Enjoy

Red

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
hey red,

global warming bust be catching up if you're getting mangoes in the hedgerows already! :rolleyes:

Rob

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is a "special" for firecrest as she said it was a favourite of hers and wanted to try it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE