Man makes his own knife from scratch (yes from the Ore)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Now this is really interesting and impressive

“From Dust to Edge” is the documentation of a long journey in the efforts of making a blade out of homemade steel. My interest in blades started with the legendary Japanese katana and as a result of wanting to learn more about how they were made I ended up becoming a bladesmith. I combined the traditional Japanese techniques and the current knowledge of the Western smith in this pictorial representation. The project will be divided in several sections. It is primarily a visual description through photographs.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wow, that's some serious dedication

Amazing to see the process right through like that

Cheers for the link Mike

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
thanks for sharing that link mike i watched a program on discovery a while back on how the japenese make there samauri swords regards dave

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm pretty sure there is someone on the British blades forum who is making some stone-working tools from scratch, in North Yorkshire.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
That is very impressive. I once watched a TV show that was about a young man named Paul Champange and he made swords this same way from the ore, he even mined the ore himself. He is considered a master swordmaker. Sadly he came home from working the shop one day and died suddenly. Look up his work, most impressive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE