Man made tinder ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
I'm looking at completing the American bushcraft forum's bushcraft course, and one of the modules is creating and lighting 5 man made tinders. Right now i have vaseline cotton balls, magic pads, and a home made candle made from cardboard, candle wax, and an old tuna tin. I still need another two tinders, so any ideas?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Prawn crackers?

Char cloth?

Jute string and olive oil?

Slow match?

Charred cotton rope?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sawdust and wax
Jute rope/cotton cord/lamp-wick and wax
Drier lint - (I always see it listed but I've never tried it myself)
Brazil nut shavings - they have to be "man-made" or certainly "man-influenced" if they don't grow locally!

Probably loads more.

ATB

Ogri the trog

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Toilet tissue. Cigarette papers, flint from your Sox/belly button.
Can't think of anything else that red hasn't said. Good luck.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Ok maybe i was setting the bar a bit high as some of the posters over there are using things like cardboard and lint, i was thinking it had to be "bushcraft" style man made!

Since some of you have already suggested it i may have a go at making char cloth if anyone can tell me how to do it?

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
cotton wool pads in wax. Small bits joiners wood simmered in wax for 5 mins (be careful it doesn't flash over and do it outside). Makes nice fat wood. Char cloth or punk wood charred.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ok maybe i was setting the bar a bit high as some of the posters over there are using things like cardboard and lint, i was thinking it had to be "bushcraft" style man made!

Since some of you have already suggested it i may have a go at making char cloth if anyone can tell me how to do it?

Get an empty syrup tin (enjoy the contents - don't waste them!) a tea towel (preferably new as soap residues from laundering them is a fire retardant - Tesco 100% cotton terry loop are my favourite but then I just like burning anything to do with Tesco...) and a nail.
Get a good hot fire going.
Punch a hole in the lid of the tin with the nail and keep the nail handy.
Stuff the towel into the tin - 1 towel fits just great into 1 tin - do not faff with cutting it up as this is a messy waste of time.
Put lid on tin.
Put tin into the fire.
Columns of smoke should pour from the hole in the top and may well later become columns of super heated flame in the manner of a jet engine - enjoy the show!
When the smoke and or flame dies away to nothing or very close to it remove the tin from the fire - use tongs - it is hot...
Push the nail into the lid to prevent any oxygen getting in or you will just end up with ash as the char cloth uses the oxygen to burn... wadda you mean you can't find the nail?
Quick turn the tin upside down in the mud and press it down to seal it!
Wait until the tin is ice cold to the touch (it takes a good while - be patient or you will get a view of your towel glowing away to ash as you let in all that oxygen) then open up your tin and remove the shrunken black remains of the towel.
You should be able to unfold he black carbon that was once the pride of Tesco if you are careful and have the muckiest towel on earth in your hands. If it has brown or white bits on it - you were impatient and took it out of he fire too soon (rushing jobs gets you nowhere - have you learned nothing from your teachers? ) these "brown ends can be added to your next tinfull to finish off.
The black bits should tear easily to the size you want to use - if they are crisp and crumbly they are over cooked (you got bored and looked away, didn't you, and you missed when the smoke stopped) if the tin is full of foul smelling black lava-like deposits you did not read the label on the towel and used Polycotton - use 100% cotton you pilchard!.
The nice black carbon of a well charred towel should take the smallest dullest spark and turn it into a huge glowing ember.
I hope that helps :)

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
I rember ray mears demonstrating how a log from last nights fire would light with a single spark. I can't rember if he said aim at the black or white bits though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
1.Dip Paper and card in wax to soak it, I use old card egg boxes, I have used cotton cloth as well this can be rolled up.. ie wax cotton.. poylester works as well...
2.Wood soaked in veg oil.
3. Paper from a kids colouring cayron, also can be used as a candle.. if its a wax one..
4. Wax from a chesee can be used.. Baby Bell. this goes soft at body temp so cotton wall can be wraped in it.
5. I have got a pencil before and soaked it in oil, then used the shavings from it..

There are loads of posibiltys.. jsut experiament, and see what about the house.. always worth trying differnt things :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE