Fire Straws..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I'm a great fan of fire straws, the plastic drinking straw stuffed with Petroleum Jelly and cotton wool mix. Rarely do I light tinder and carefully add kindling to feed the flame, I just make an open fire by piling tinder, kindling and thicker fuel wood in a heap and then just lighting a fire straw and poking it deep into the heart of the fire pile. I can't recall it ever failing, even with damp tinder. But...making the fire straws takes me back to being a Nipper and playing mud pies..:eek:

Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly), cotton wool bits sticking everywhere, making skinny rolls and poking them down the straws....and so, when I remembered I had some wax collected from the stubs of candles I had used at at Solstice, I played at making a different fire straw..

Plastic drinking straws..9.5 inches long.

0woOkWMl.jpg

Some old, and new Natural Jute garden twine.

nepZzDjl.jpg

Finally, the remains of Solstice candle stubs melted into an old food tin.

0t696aKl.jpg

Candle wax on very low heat to melt

x4S91N0l.jpg

I cut enough Jute twine to thread doubled into 5 drinking straws which would be cut in half to make 10 fire straws. Immerse the twine in the molten wax, fish it out, let it drain and then leave it to harden. I left mine outside on a garden storage box.

9TWjmO5l.jpg

I then cut the straws in half and using a piece of hooked wire hauled the waxed twine through each straw in turn.

AU9miIzl.jpg

Once the twine is threaded and cut you have a choice. You can either heat the end of the straw and pinch it closed..

GJNPCrHl.jpg

Or just dip the end in the molten wax which will seal the straw.

A9HkVlZl.jpg

When these are dipped I'll have 10 waterproof, floatable, easily carried bomb-proof fire starters.

MXsa0pbl.jpg

25TiDlgl.jpg

The fire straws fit conveniently beside a small First Aid Kit and a fire tin ( Ferro rod, matches etc ) in my belt pouch.

wBdNN2El.jpg

On test each straw burns for at least 2 minutes, but I expect that may vary with different wax, twine etc:

:)

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I really like the idea of these but I don't like burning plastic. I guess you could make straws out of greaseproof paper and seal the seams with wax, though I suppose the plastic is what makes them easy to light in any conditions.

I tend to use cotton balls soaked in hot candle wax and left to cool, just break them open and tease out some cotton fibres to light them.
I've never tried lighting them when wet but I'm pretty sure the outer wax would keep them water proof, so as long as they were patted dry before use they'd be fine.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's burning the plastic that has me looking for cheaper waxed paper ones like I used back when I was a kid, I know one of the fast food chains used to use paper ones rather than plastic but (a) I can't remember which and (b) they may have stopped anyway.

ATB

Tom

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Buddleia or Elderberry works if you are worried about the plastic, dry, cut to length, push the pith out, fill with cotton wool/Vaseline and dip the open ends in wax. A little more time consuming but actually better and stronger than the straws, plus it really winds people up when they see you send a single shower of sparks into a built and ready fire with apparently nothing smaller than pencil size pieces of wood in it and it bursts into flame first time.

D.B.

what about sections of reed as containers?!

sealing the ends of the straws (regardless of what you use) with wax might lead to a mess in your gear if temperatures get hot enough.......

normally i don't use PJ/cotton for firestarting except a small amount stored in a small container made from a piece of aluminium pipe and a cork which i carry in a compass pouch on my tool belt-- its a backup for emergency only..... .the container can be refilled if needed.....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE