Male seal catches a fish off Dungeness beach!

We were fortunate enough to watch a male seal catch a fish off Dungeness, a Kent beach, back in July. We often go to this wonderful area during the summer for the wonderful array of flora and fauna - not to mention the most amazing skies; the cloud formations are incredibly dramatic there!

As we came over the brow of the pebble beach we saw a large dark shape roll only about 2 metres from the shore. I fortunately had my digital camera and despite the seal moving further out to sea I managed to get a couple of shots that came out despite using maximum zoom without a tripod.

This is the first time I've seen a seal off the Kent coast and it was a wonderful experience!

(I'm having trouble uploading the images into this message, when I click on the Insert Image icon I'm asked to "Enter the text to be formatted xxx[\IMG]" - any advice would be appreciated.)

I've uploaded the image and the links are here, if you would like to view them: -

[IMG]http://www.acidman.co.uk/Seal_0.jpg

Seal_1.jpg

Seal_2.jpg

Hope you enjoy these images! :)

Phil.

ilovemybed said:
Excellent pics.
:You_Rock_

Only 2m out? You'll get the beach casters jealous!

Yeah - when we first spied the seal it was literally just off the shore line. As it was at a distance it was hard to judge the size - but it looked massive, hence I assumed it was a male.

LOL - All the beach casters were fishing off a point on the beach and they weren't catching a thing. The seal obviously knew better :lmao:

Phil.

Too Much Kit To Carry said:
We were fortunate enough to watch a male seal catch a fish off Dungeness, a Kent beach, back in July. We often go to this wonderful area during the summer for the wonderful array of flora and fauna - not to mention the most amazing skies; the cloud formations are incredibly dramatic there!

As we came over the brow of the pebble beach we saw a large dark shape roll only about 2 metres from the shore. I fortunately had my digital camera and despite the seal moving further out to sea I managed to get a couple of shots that came out despite using maximum zoom without a tripod.

This is the first time I've seen a seal off the Kent coast and it was a wonderful experience!

(I'm having trouble uploading the images into this message, when I click on the Insert Image icon I'm asked to "Enter the text to be formatted xxx[\IMG]" - any advice would be appreciated.)

I've uploaded the image and the links are here, if you would like to view them: -

[IMG]http://www.acidman.co.uk/Seal_0.jpg

Seal_1.jpg

Seal_2.jpg

Hope you enjoy these images! :)

Phil.

Just remembered this was one of my first posts and I needed to insert the images rather than html links.

Phil.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Great photos!
Reminds me of the time I was canoeing in the Tivy estuary and I stopped to chat with a kayaker who was handlining for Bass with no luck. A seal came up right next to us - chewing on the biggest Bass I have ever seen! Seals are the best fishermen I know and have been known to come 10 miles or more up the Tivy after salmon. One was shot to death by irate salmon fishermen....b*****ds!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I can never understand how seals are described as shy.

The few I have seen were bold as brass.

same as otters. Ive had otters practicaly come up and sniff me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE