Viking Smoothing Board

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Most interesting! I have never heard of one before. Your rendition looks very authentic. Glad you happened across that bone. I imagine many passed it up not seeing any use for it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've got the kiln, not fired it up for a few years though and you definitely don't want to do it with a torch.

To slump glass takes anything up to 6 hours or more depending on size of the work piece to bring it up to the correct temperature for slumping followed by up to 24 hours slowly reducing the temperature back down to room temperature to reduce the risk of it shattering from cooling too fast.

I knew you worked with stained glass but I didn't realise you had a kiln Steve, guess something like the smoother in the picture above would take a lot of fuel, fuss and bother though?

When I talked to another historical glass maker near here (Tillerman Beads, a torch worker) he said he is asked for these things all the time but he can't make them.

I am talking to him about another project I have in mind though.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I knew you worked with stained glass but I didn't realise you had a kiln Steve, guess something like the smoother in the picture above would take a lot of fuel, fuss and bother though?

Aye, I've still got a small electric kiln that I used to use to do a bit of simple flat glass slumping, dichroic glass jewelry and painted glass but as I said I've not used it for years now

If you mean the smoother in this picture then by the looks of it that was actually formed by someone who blows glass. They'll have taken a lump of molten glass out on a pontil, let it start to drip to form the teardrop shape then cut it off so it rested on a suitable flat surface then was placed in a kiln to cool slowly. Whilst I know the process unfortunately I don't have the necessary equipment to do it

viking+board+and+stone.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hah! Reading the articles they also had wooden boards, handy for us with whale poverty....

I'm particularly grateful for the links as its set me off on some more wood projects, mangle boards, battled ores and beetles as being eminently makable, if that's a word.

ATB

Tom

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Aye, I've still got a small electric kiln that I used to use to do a bit of simple flat glass slumping, dichroic glass jewelry and painted glass but as I said I've not used it for years now

If you mean the smoother in this picture then by the looks of it that was actually formed by someone who blows glass. They'll have taken a lump of molten glass out on a pontil, let it start to drip to form the teardrop shape then cut it off so it rested on a suitable flat surface then was placed in a kiln to cool slowly. Whilst I know the process unfortunately I don't have the necessary equipment to do it

viking+board+and+stone.jpg

Ah well, thanks for even considering it Steve.

I'm hoping I can find a suitable "dump" paperweight somewhere then.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Classic.. That opposed "animal" heads style on the boards seems to be such a universal theme that I have to wonder why it is so prevalent.

There may well be a mythological reference that we simply do not have. Our knowledge of the Norse pantheon is partial at best, almost non existent in places.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Well you learn something new everyday, At first i thought it was a Gaming Board, Possibly the wost game ever. But a ironing Board??? i never suspected that for one minute...Nice Job man and thanks for the education..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE