Viking Smoothing Board

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Due to the elections I had a day off yesterday so I decided to tick off one of those jobs that have been on my list for a long time.

Viking-Smoothing-Board.jpg

The "Smoothing Board" is a very distinctive Norse artefact that turns up in Viking period graves and sometimes in black earth contexts.

I've wanted one for my school talks and displays for a long while but sourcing the whalebone was obviously a problem.

I contacted the Natural History Museum as they are given rights to salvage materials from whale strandings. They agreed that the educational use I had for such bone was in keeping with their remit and they promised to let me know if anything ever became available, but nothing ever came of it.

Then, by chance, I came across a few bones on a beach, I am not going to mention where, so don't ask me. One of them was a shoulder blade which was just what I needed. They were all badly weathered and almost unworkable.

Experiments with a couple of offcuts showed I would need to stabilise them somehow but I needed a simple solution that would not compromise the authentic look and feel for living history use. Whatever I tried, I would only ever get one shot at it, I am unlikely to ever find such an ideal bone again. I had just two offcuts left that I could experiment on.

I have to admit that I over thought it. The bones sat on a shelf for a decade while I occasionally pondered what to do. Life got in the way, I have concentrated mainly on the business rather than going to events for a few years and recently we decided to get back on the circuit.

This gave me just the prod I needed to look again at this project and I realised that the simplest solutions are often the best. I just soaked the bone with PVA which filled the delicate blood vessel matrix around the edges and made it solid enough to work on without chipping. Sanded down, it left the surface pretty well unaltered.

viking+board+and+stone.jpg

There is a board found in Norway that I used for inspiration. I changed a few details like the ears in respect for the fragile state of the material but largely I am happy with the design.

The carving was done mostly with files but with a little help from a Dremel type drill in a couple of tight areas.

I normally highlight such carvings with a mixture of beeswax and crushed charcoal forced into the grooves but decided that would be inappropriate in this case as the usual interpretation of what they were used for is smoothing linen which might get soiled by the charcoal mix rubbing out.

Incidentally, the rubbing stone seen in the picture above may possibly be an original. I found it on a boot sale amongst a miscellaneous pile of metal detector finds, some of them correct for the period. The seller was characteristicly vague about where he found it and had no idea what it was but it looked like others that I have seen. Although I do not like to support potential nighthawks, I felt this was too good an opportunity to pass up.

3b0c4acd73175e9cc6e6788173a77baf.jpg

Sometimes the originals are made of glass, sometimes shaped stone like this one and occasionally just a suitably shaped pebble. I suspect some such pebbles are discarded from excavations for simple lack of recognition.

Anyway, not very bushcrafty perhaps but I thought you might be interested.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hadn't seen this Gary :D
Excellent, really excellent.

The stone is known as a glisander here. From the French glissé, to polish. They were latterly made by dropping a lump of molten glass onto a metal plate so that if formed a rounded but flat bottomed and smooth shape.

The board and the stone polish linen, they make it flat and crisp and they will let the lady press pleats too without staining the cloth.

Excellent piece of Viking domesticity to add to the whole kit Gary :approve:

M

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Absolutely fascinating. How big is it? Is it good for cloaks or just socks? Do we know how they were used? I am guessing the pebble was heated some how.

Z

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely piece Wayland. Think they're lovely things. Watched a program on YT not too long ago where they excavated one from a grave on a beach. Stunning things.

Always makes me laugh that folks perceive Vikings as being the "classic" barbarian, unkempt and dirty. But in reality they washed, combed and ironed more that a lot of others. (I have an image in my head of a 700 odds Newcastle washing and ironing his shirt afore heading oot on the toon on a Saturday night. Though I've never liked the idea of folk "snottering" into the communal washing bowl.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, the linen was worked when slightly damp. Heating would raise the surface of the bone, damage it and leave it friable.

http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/pdffiles/linensmoothers.pdf

Battledores were originally flat sticks, often highly carved and decorative, used to calender linens. The word is the root of the beetle.

Good explanation of the process here.
http://www.blackcountrybugle.co.uk/ancestors-smooth-work-ironing/story-26185938-detail/story.html

Polished linen smooths the fibres and trues up the edges, it's a good process to do when the freshly woven linen is removed from the loom.

M

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh, that's lovely! Cheers for sharing.

As a bit of serendipity last week on one of my charity shop trawls I picked up a puck sized piece of glass for 80p that I thought may be for smoothing

image.jpg1_zps32znl5cy.jpg

Thanks for the links. Ill have to knock up whatever they use with these modern ones. Our ironing board cover as quite soft and squidgy.

Atb

tom

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Lovely piece Wayland. Think they're lovely things. Watched a program on YT not too long ago where they excavated one from a grave on a beach. Stunning things.

Always makes me laugh that folks perceive Vikings as being the "classic" barbarian, unkempt and dirty. But in reality they washed, combed and ironed more that a lot of others. (I have an image in my head of a 700 odds Newcastle washing and ironing his shirt afore heading oot on the toon on a Saturday night. Though I've never liked the idea of folk "snottering" into the communal washing bowl.

There is a sermon somewhere from an Anglo-Saxon priest berating the women in his congregation because they apparently preferred Norse settlers. I suspect that the AS aversion to bathing because they thought it was unhealthy might have had something to do with it. The Vikings bathed on a Saturday whether they needed it or not...

The account from the Rissala of Ahmad ibn Fadlān ibn al-Abbās ibn Rāšid ibn Hammād that gives the account you are referring to was written from the Muslim point of view that you should only wash under running water. He states that the bowl was passed for use between people but fails to mention whether or not it was refilled between users.

Given the fastidious nature of the Norse demonstrated elsewhere I very much doubt if his apparent disgust was anything but a cultural difference.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Tombear, If that has a recess on one side I suspect it is a paperweight designed to have a photo fixed in it.

I've looked at them myself thinking they might serve the purpose but for my needs it would need to be coloured. (Usually green.)

theres a slight rounded rim to the top , bum. Oh well , I assume it can be used as a smoother, the bottoms very flat and smooth. It wasn't going to be a display item, just something to get the right effect on the linen.

Cheers!

Tom

Wayland

Hárbarðr
theres a slight rounded rim to the top , bum. Oh well , I assume it can be used as a smoother, the bottoms very flat and smooth. It wasn't going to be a display item, just something to get the right effect on the linen.

Cheers!

Tom

It should certainly do the job well enough.

It also made me wonder if I could find a suitable paperweight on Ebay so it may actually do me a favour.

The last guy I knew that made reproductions doesn't do them anymore so I'm on the lookout for a glass worker that has a kiln. (This is too big an item for a torch worker.)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Actually…..maybe speak to some of the blacksmiths. Their forges are capable of melting the glass in a lump and making a glisander for you.

atb,
Mary

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The last guy I knew that made reproductions doesn't do them anymore so I'm on the lookout for a glass worker that has a kiln. (This is too big an item for a torch worker.)

I've got the kiln, not fired it up for a few years though and you definitely don't want to do it with a torch.

To slump glass takes anything up to 6 hours or more depending on size of the work piece to bring it up to the correct temperature for slumping followed by up to 24 hours slowly reducing the temperature back down to room temperature to reduce the risk of it shattering from cooling too fast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE