Male or Female

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I suspect it's male dominated, but there is a good proportion of females as well.
I stand to be corrected though.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
It depends entirely on what kind of weekend i'm having
07-groucho-marx-mustache.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'd say it was more male orientated.

Most females who go out into the woods to camp etc would be accompanied by a bloke. I doubt that most women would solo in the woods.

Saying that though, bushcraft isn't just about camping in the woods, and i reckon women will hold sway in many of the crafts. :)

I'd say it was more male orientated.

Most females who go out into the woods to camp etc would be accompanied by a bloke. I doubt that most women would solo in the woods.

Saying that though, bushcraft isn't just about camping in the woods, and i reckon women will hold sway in many of the crafts. :)

women do play a major roll in native groups, tanning skins, clothes making, cooking, gathering roots,berries, and other things, i was wondering what percentage do bush craft as a hobby/pass time.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
women do play a major roll in native groups, tanning skins, clothes making, cooking, gathering roots,berries, and other things, i was wondering what percentage do bush craft as a hobby/pass time.

There are some, quite a few on the forums too.

Problem is though, bushcraft doesnt have a definition of being a single thing. It is many things, some of which you may not even think of as bushcraft, To get anywhere near an accurate figure you would have to find out exactly whats involved or tied to the word bushcraft.

Its very difficult to answer, but at a guess i'd estimate maybe 15%?

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
There is the thing. What do you define as 'Bushcraft' its a term I've really only ever heard on this site.
And occasionally when I try to explain what I do to people they'll say "so what, a bit like Ray Mears then?" and I find it easier to say well that kind of thing I suppose :eek:

I don't class going camping as 'bushcraft' its camping :rolleyes: people have been doing it ever since there were people. And I have camped on my own since I was about 7.
I've played with penknives since I was 8 and spend my childhood and teeneage years in the woods learning about the plants and animals that live there. I can skin a rabbit, navigate without GPS, I've made various gadgets over the years with a knife and few sticks, I can do cordage, I chop my own firewood and have camped in places that were very remote by brittish standards.

I know plenty women who don't need a bloke to go camping with, or that do crafts, or that know lots about the wildlife in their areas. Is any of it bushcraft, probably not, but then what is...

There is the thing. What do you define as 'Bushcraft' its a term I've really only ever heard on this site.
And occasionally when I try to explain what I do to people they'll say "so what, a bit like Ray Mears then?" and I find it easier to say well that kind of thing I suppose :eek:

I don't class going camping as 'bushcraft' its camping :rolleyes: people have been doing it ever since there were people. And I have camped on my own since I was about 7.
I've played with penknives since I was 8 and spend my childhood and teeneage years in the woods learning about the plants and animals that live there. I can skin a rabbit, navigate without GPS, I've made various gadgets over the years with a knife and few sticks, I can do cordage, I chop my own firewood and have camped in places that were very remote by brittish standards.

I know plenty women who don't need a bloke to go camping with, or that do crafts, or that know lots about the wildlife in their areas. Is any of it bushcraft, probably not, but then what is...

I agree, camping is just camping, it`s how we spend our time while camping that makes the difference i think, bush craft is `as said previously` hard to define and we all have our skills that can and can not be classed as true bush craft. I`m happy to see at least 1 lady has responded so far and it sounds like you are hands on and enjoy it, as i said i am just curious as to how many ladies are out there getting pleasure from this as a hobby.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I don't think bushcraft is its own activity, I just think it fits in with other stuff, like camping, hunting, canoeing etc, all of which are activities on their own, but use bushcraft in the process.

Bushcraft to me then, means just that. Something to compliment something else, but doesn't really exist on its own, because its many things to many things, yet nothing without anything else.

If that makes sense :D.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This 'Bushcraft' camping is very much a male domain, I've seen very, very few ladies at camps I've been on or read about here to be honest, although we have a 'Tengu' doing her bit bit for the female members ;)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I am not female.

I know this because no one offers me sivilised toilet arrangements like they do other women...

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I turn up on my own to meets, but i can count on one hand the number of other female members turn up alone. I grew up a tomboy and played with boys and boys toys, I wonder if that's true of other female bushcrafters

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
My misses will never come out on a 'bushcraft' camp with me. However she likes camping in a tent so long as she can stand up in it, and that there is a toilet block near by.

'Not my cuppa tea' she says

I think bushcraft is a set of skills you learn, then take with you to a camp, any camp.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
My misses will never come out on a 'bushcraft' camp with me. However she likes camping in a tent so long as she can stand up in it, and that there is a toilet block near by.

'Not my cuppa tea' she says

I think bushcraft is a set of skills you learn, then take with you to a camp, any camp.

thats exactly what my other half is like, she likes elec hookup to lol

we go camping with our friends reasonable regularly for things like birthdays etc and i am always the one with the least amount of kit yet i (and swmbo) always get the best sleep, eat the best and stay warmest and driest lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE