Making your own "Millbank"-waterfilter; how??

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I've been thinking about this for some time, but I can't figure it out.

I want to make my own millbank kind off waterfilter, but have no idea what fabric to use. The sewing part seems easy, the fabric part no so.
I was thinking of cotton, but what kind of cotton would do? Or should I look for other options.

I am leaving out the chemical contamination possibility, so the general idea is filter the water, then boil it.

Any suggestions??

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Tie off the bottom of some trousers, and cut to length. Its only to get the big stuff out, so boiling will sort the rest out fella.:)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I have never tried this but i just read
"the mill bank bag can be made using artists canvas it is best to wash it first before you make it. i am in the process of making my own. plus a few other bits from the said canvas "

I have a millbank bag but remember seeing a video on youtube by mike dixon saying filtering through a bandanna is not good enough even if its folded over 4 times- may be worth considering.

Here is the video- http://www.youtube.com/user/wall2rockclimber#p/u/1/sL4c_l7Rb58
around 7 minutes in

Last edited:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have seen a company that sell a filter which are basically coffe cone paper filters and a plastic cone of same size, can't think of the name at the moment. I remember looking at it and thinking that it would be easy to improvise something similar. The stiff plastic is just there to support the paper cones without taking any space.

As to the Millbank, it's just a bag of close weave canvas. The water makes the cotton swell, making it more difficult for particles of "stuff" to go through, only clean water gets through. The water looks perfectly clean, but then you'd still better boil it to kill bacterias!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Interesting - I've got some 12oz "loomstate" canvas - i.e. untreated or dyed. I reckon if I wash it and make a bag up it should be OK as a Millbank. have to give it a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE