Making Tallow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Does anybody have any experience of making tallow?

My wifes uncle is a butcher and he reckons that Mutton fat makes better Tallow than beef fat.
The process I'm lead to understand is as follows.

1. Render down the fat from solid to liquid.

2. Purify the fat removing any nasty bits hair fibres ect

3. boil the fat to remove any water as this will make the fat turn rancid.

Hey presto Tallow.

The smell is supposed to be quite 'interesting'.

I wonder if anyone had tried this and if they could comment!

cheers

John

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I've never made tallow, but I have made up pemmican. This is meat dried to almost no percentile of water remains. Jerky has a relatively high content,hence its leathery flexible feel. The meat is then ground up and mixed back into clarified fat,oftentimes mixed with local berries. The resulting foodstuff was virtually impervious to degradation. I would only note to watch your temperatures. Burning the product or yourself is not recommended.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
johnboy said:
Hi,
..snip..
Hey presto Tallow.

The smell is supposed to be quite 'interesting'.

..snip..

John

Hmmm... I'll bet your neighbours will agree.

When I was a kid, my grandmother kept a tallow candle, that she would burn very occasionally as a cure for something or other (cold, cough, or something respiratory)...

But since tallow candles were no longer sold, and her candle was only about two and a half inches long, she was saving it for a real epidemic.

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE