manfat candles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
Right ive acquired alot of animal fat (various roastings of flesh) which i am going to heat up and strain. I was planning on making some rendered fat oil candles has anyone any experience on doing this.

My main questions would be how long do you heat it for to "render" it?

and what would be the best "string" to make a wick and would the wick need soaking in a flammable solution or is it normally just dry string?

at first i was thinking oil lamps but since it sets would there be any extra work involved in making a sort of home brew tallow candle?

answers on a postcard please :-D

if i can make something useful with the fat it would fit with my whole animal use policy i try to employ and gives me more reasons to buy fatty lamb and beef :-D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tombear recently did a really good thread on making rush lights that has loads of excellent information on it. :approve:

His rush dips are the cleanest burning ones I've ever seen.
He did another thread on making tallow candles too. :cool:

The wick, I find, works better if I pre dip it before encasing it in the middle of the candle. With the rush the rush is it's own wick.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE