making my own smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
Hi

I am making my own smock

we have a LARGE materials shop near my home in Dorset called Hanson's (01258 472698 ) no web address

they sell every thing! (even swedish army camouflage material?) and I have bought some ripstop DPM (6 metres)and some olive green teflon coated material(4 metres)

in all with cotton reel, buttons and tailors chalk 40 quid!

will post some photos tommorrow!

Craig

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Popped into my fave cheapy surplus store in Boringmouth (BASE, Charminster) and picked up a ripstop DPM windproof smock, £42 brand new. It's made by the Highlander brand (Forces brand in some places). Ok, It's no Arktis, but for a cheapo, lightweight jobbie for the summer, it takes some beating.

Sorry.... ;)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
SUGGESTIONS WANTED! I'm living in china, and can't buy clothes that fit, but tailored clothes are dirt cheap here. I'm getting a couple of pairs of shorts made to test out their skills, but then I figure I should take advantage and get some good stuff made. What kind of features would you guys choose for general bushcraft gear? I could specify just about anything, from strengthening various places, to putting big pockets wherever I want. What about materials? Everyone seems to like wool, but I can also get cotton, hemp, or anything. Silk, perhaps. I always complain about not being to get good clothes, but found myself a bit dumbfounded when I could have anything I wanted!

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
Stoddy, do you have a pattern for a smock or are you going to reverse engineer (take apart) one you've already got to use as a pattern?

I'm thinking about making a pair of combat trousers as soon as time allows. Do you know if the Swedish material in the shop genuine or some sort of copy?

Many thanks

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I spent a little time in Hong Kong and if mainland China has the quality of tailor that Hong Kong has, you will get a much higher quality workmanship than any of the mass produced stuff we usually get here.

As for "features", I would definitely not go for anything that looks like military clothing (i.e. no camo), so normal trousers with strengthening patches around the backside and knees and plenty of room to move in would be good, shirts (large double breast pockets are useful, with a buttoned flap to secure them). I use old fashioned wooly jumpers to keep warm, and an outer jacket made from ventile. Ventile is a special weave of cloth that is very expensive (point north do it for £26/metre) and waterproof with no extra treatment, (this is true until the ventile wears and eventually it looses its ability, it has taken 6 years of almost constant use to do this on mine). If you cannot get ventile, another material is "gortex" but requires treating. If you cannot get "special" materials, an option might be for a double layer cloth outer jacket, an a poncho of waterproof nylon material. One outer jacket pattern you might be able to use is in this link: http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/US1413 . They worked well in Burma. I would go a jacket with buttons or a full length zip, at the moment I have a parka type outer jacket and it is a pain to put on/take off when you have the pockets full of stuff.

If you can get silk, grab it, it is fantastic stuff, light and warm, use it for a base layer! Hope that helps

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
hi all

I just wanted to make my own smock, just to see if I can (I have one of the 42 quid ones aswell :) )

I am just making a pullover smock in DPM first, as the material was so cheap (I have enough to kit out a regiment :) )

I just measured my old smock, and then doing fine adjustments, make it fit my delicate frame :)

my missus is finding it amusing watching an hairy arsed builder beavering away at a sewing machine :D

I am also going to make a set of trousers and shorts in DPM (no Y- fronts those, too itchy :D )

I will post piccies, and how to, when I am happy with the design

Craig

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
jayuk said:
Do you know if the Swedish material in the shop genuine or some sort of copy?

I am not sure, I will ask them for you , and can tell you how much per metre etc...

I might be able to get a sample off them and send it to you if you like?

PM me or answer in this thread

Craig

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
stoddy,

thanks for your offer, I think I'll give them a telepone call later in the week. I don't normally make my own combat trousers, but I recently stumbled accross a guy on UK ebay selling genuine Danish flecktarn cotton material and couldn't resist.

I guess some of the material must be made over here.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
smock.JPG

this is my smock so far

next will add hood and then pockets

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Thanks Greg! I'd thought about posting a retraction to my first post, after I realised just how lazy it was. There must be loads of stuff about this that I could search for.

What you said about strengthened patches is just the kind of thing I was thinking of, and I CAN get silk for about 3 pounds something a metre, which is I guess monumentally cheap. I've only ever really seen silk shirts and novelty boxer shorts, so I can't really think what kind of thing you're suggesting. Are you suggesting some kind of smock, or something like a long t-shirt?

Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE