Making my first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 9, 2013
Bury St Edmunds
Hi all,

I have decided to have a pop at making a knife and I need advice on a good kit/blade blank.

I have some workshop time coming up, some nice stable boxwood for the handle and some leather for a sheath.

I'm thinking of something for general outdoor /camping use. Something with a 4"ish long blade and 1/8" thick? Ideally I would like a brass bolster as part of the kit.

My main question is what grade of steel would be best? Something that keeps a good edge, is reasonable easy to sharpen and not prone to tarnishing?

Any suggestions?

James

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Hello I'd have a look on ebay if you have any spare cash .
As cutting a blank is not so hard with just a dremel or other rotary tool .
Especially if you buy some of these bad boys dremel-3000-8l-1280x1024.jpg
And I'd imagine buying a blank will cost you nigh on the same as a 2nd hand dremel and some ground flat stock .
And it can be used again and again .
:) good luck with what ever you choose there are many quality bladesmiths on this forum .
So finding a blank wont be hard .
Dave budd sold me one (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
and I was inspired to build a forge .
And then go on to buy a gas one . hopefully soon I will be turning out a knife myself .
It lures you in !
Good luck whatever you choose !

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I went for the Karesuando Kit as my first adventure into knife making. I've read nothing but good reviews on them and have to say I'm impressed for the money I laid out on it. They have a choice of 9 or 10cm blades in carbon or stainless.

Feb 9, 2013
Bury St Edmunds
Again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Someone mentioned getting sucked in... On their way is a fully shaped blade blank from Hill Bill, a couple of 01 tool steel blocks off eBay for me to shape myself as well a some old files so I can try the whole annealing process as well. Oh yes, and some extra leather and wood scales...

Looks like I will be having a busy week :)

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE