Making my first knife (easyer than i thought!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
4 hours and a piece of 01 and this is what i got:

DSC001422.jpg

DSC001452.jpg

I like the scandi blade, but also the woodlore style of handle, so after some tweaking I present the ''Fulltang Scandi''

DSC001482.jpg

I have pretty average sized hands, so this gives and idea of the size of the blade

I cut it out using a hacksaw then filied it to shape. I then drilled the holes, opting not to bother with a lanyard hole as I find it just gets in the way unless its on a bigger knife and I dont want it flying away from me when chopping. Then for the bevel, I started it off on the bench grinder then hand filed it and finished it on the belt sander (fine belt). next was the heat treating, I used a blow torch for this and quenched it in Essos finest whale oil, (not sure if its actually from whales, but thats what it's called so...) then tempering. I finished it off on the polishing wheel, but once I got home I wasnt happy with the sharpness so it got a bit scratched up on my stone, but it shaves now. not to worry if I can't get them out, its a user anyway. Oh, I also knocked up some loveless bolts on the lathe. I don't have any wood or leather yet, so this won't see a handle for a while (donations welcome :p). The pictures don't do it justice really, it has much cleaner lines and they make the scratches look bigger.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I only hope my first goes that well :D

That looks great, just the sort of thing I'm looking at doing. Going to take my time though and settle on a design before begining. Not even got any tools to do it with yet :rolleyes:

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
Finally finished it. Just needs a few more coats of Danish oil on the handle, but I couldn’t resist taking some photos for yall. Not sure what wood the scales are (some type of Australian hardwood) but I made it from an old boomerang I've had for years someone brought me back from Australia. The sheath is some ratty old leather from a flap off a bag of some kind (looks awfull but it does the job).

FulltangScandi4.jpg

FulltangScandi6.jpg

FulltangScandi5.jpg

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I think you've found a decent piece of wood for the handles!
Thats a great job,I wish my first had turned out so well.
The greatest satisfaction is in useing a tool you made yourself.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
You may want to sand between coats with 300 grit wet & dry automotive sandpaper from the auto parts or body shop supply. That will really bring out the beauty of your wood.

Nice job all around.

Do you have a metal lathe at home? MAJOR ENVY!!!!!

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
Do you have a metal lathe at home? MAJOR ENVY!!!!!

At the work shop:D lol. I'm 19 so I can't afford a lathe myself. My grandfather was an engineer all his life and restores vintage motorcycles in his spare time, He also ran a succesful steel company with his brothers (which has since been sold). I've got access to pretty much any machine you can think of. He's been teaching me since I was small how to use different machines, about metals and everything like that e.c.t.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You know what impresses me most? Making your own loveless bolts! If you can do that, the rest should be a doddle!

Good man

Red

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
WOW!! thank you for all the nice comments everyone, I'm glad you all like it.

If the wood was from a boomerang its likely to be jarrah wood,a very hard and dense aussie native used for quality furniture.

I think you might be right. My first thoughts were that it might be mahogany, but once I started cutting it up it certainly didn’t smell like mahogany. The grain also looked like it could have been eucalyptus but it didn’t smell like pepper. There was a sticker on the back of the boomerang that said something like ''hand crafted by aborigines from selected native hardwood''. I just googeld 'jarrah wood' and the grain is exsactly the same so I'm 100% sure its jarrah wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE