Making meths smell nice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
I know this is a really silly question, but is there any way of making meths smell less unpleasant? :confused: Whenever I use my Trangia my clothes, and anything else within a few feet of the stove, end up smelling of meths. Is the smell added like the purple dye so that we know it's meths or is it an unavoidable part of the fluid's nature? :dunno:

Incidentally, my Trangia came from Lidl so it is really a Trangia replica. I think it was about seven pounds including windshield and various aluminium pans. Bargain. :D

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Not a silly question at all.
I've recently applied for a licence to buy industrial methylated spirits (also known as denatured alcohol) - I've heard that this is less smelly / sooty when using. I don't think that there's much you can do to change the smell of standard meths though.

Matt

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I only burn the industrial stuff and it's much cleaner, well worth making the effort to get the paperwork sorted to buy it (although i have never needed it so far).

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i think it's good if it smells, you know if you have a leak!
my 2p ;)

aparently orange juice helps :lmao:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
aparently orange juice helps :lmao:
To add to the meths or drink mixed with something down the pub while you get someone else to do the cooking and get smelly ? :lmao: ;)

Mark

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Gas converter? SACRILAGE! METHS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO! :eek:

Oh by the way, I too only use industrial meths. I was on a trip a couple years ago where a guy was using blue meths on his Trangia 27. By the end of the trip there were blue meth crystals covering half the burner and it was horrible. I've never had that happen with industrial meths.

Just my $0.02 cents!

Adam

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
addyb said:
SACRILAGE! METHS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO! :eek:

Meths is for preheating, dear boy. ;)

:D

P1030316.jpg

P1030355.jpg

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Mojo,

Those are magnificent stoves and I'm struck down with a strange bout of jealousy.

Anyway, if you can get a hold of the Optimus pump accessory, you won't need to use meths to preheat those wonderful Swedish works of art. It also increases the stove's output a fair bit.

Cheers,

Adam

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
addyb said:
Mojo,

Those are magnificent stoves and I'm struck down with a strange bout of jealousy.

Anyway, if you can get a hold of the Optimus pump accessory, you won't need to use meths to preheat those wonderful Swedish works of art. It also increases the stove's output a fair bit.

Cheers,

Adam

Hi Adam

The two stoves above are both parrafin (kerosene) stoves and both have built in pumps.

The midi pump in the foreground, is for the 8R Hunter and the Svea 123 petrol (gasolene) stoves. :)

P1030375.jpg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Your gonna burn your house down with those bloody incendiary devices. :lmao:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
They look great mate, my stove collecting stopped when i started back into a house renovation but im starting to think about MSR's again :eek:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
addyb said:
Gas converter? SACRILAGE! METHS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO! :eek:

Nahh.. it is a one way trip, once you have had the pleasure of coffee being ready before your tent is up then you can never go back :D

It does work out lighter, much faster, and takes up less room in your pack but it is expensive. Gas for a weekend trip will cost around £6 for 4 people whereas I can get meths for £1.

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE