Making meths smell nice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"Ooh,nice.

Lovely old bits of kit;they were the days"

They still are, and used restored and even made. A big following amongst us sad old stove collectors ;)

www.spiritburner.com

The top picture shows a pre 1925 Primus model 96, nice. I have a 1916 model, works perfect and its output is on a par with a Nova stove

The wife thinks I've got too much time on my hands :rolleyes:

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
I recently got my authorisation for customs to by denatured alcohol, burns clean. And if you`re out camping in france, you can walk into any supermarket and buy proper alcohol for your stove over the counter, burns clean, although it takes a good spark or flame to light. But the best bit was the price, 1.85 euro per litre! Needless to say, I brought a few litres back in ln my motorcycle panniers. :)

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
to take away some of the odour and some the colour, filter it through activated charcoal.
That not being readily available crush some lump wood charcoal, put it in the meths bottle cap it and give a good shake. Let it stand for a few days giving it a shake every now and again and the charcoal will absorb the impurities.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
rik_uk3 said:
Jetboil stoves, baaa humbug, ok if you live on coffee and noodles, plus they use gas :eek: :eek: ;)

Yep gas :eek: :eek: which is why im trying out green gell. But for a quick fresh brew and boil in the bag food in a hurry (MR call out etc) its great, imo.

On my DofE we were shown a vid on tent fires the gas explosion always stiks in my head. Any thing under pressure is going to be a bit dodgy. :rolleyes:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Shambling Shaman said:
On my DofE we were shown a vid on tent fires the gas explosion always stiks in my head. Any thing under pressure is going to be a bit dodgy. :rolleyes:

I could do with showing that to my lot, do you remeber any details such as the title, who made it etc, or even who showed it to you please? :thanks:

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Zodiak said:
I could do with showing that to my lot, do you remeber any details such as the title, who made it etc, or even who showed it to you please? :thanks:
Age check :rolleyes:
Back in 1983/84 ish my DofE teacher was Lesly Old. I have no idea what it was call , possibly tent safty it was very 70's public awerness type. might do a google/ebay serch.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Bushwacker said:
I recently got my authorisation for customs to by denatured alcohol, burns clean. And if you`re out camping in france, you can walk into any supermarket and buy proper alcohol for your stove over the counter, burns clean, although it takes a good spark or flame to light. But the best bit was the price, 1.85 euro per litre! Needless to say, I brought a few litres back in ln my motorcycle panniers. :)

I must admin I got some strange looks at the auchan in Amiens when added a 5L 'Alcool A Bruler' to the booze I was bringing home but at about 6 euro for 5L I though it was worth the space of another 5 or 6 bottle of the vin rouge.

I had no problems lighting it with my firesteel either.

L

lukeuk2

rik_uk3 said:
"Ooh,nice.

Lovely old bits of kit;they were the days"

They still are, and used restored and even made. A big following amongst us sad old stove collectors ;)

www.spiritburner.com

The top picture shows a pre 1925 Primus model 96, nice. I have a 1916 model, works perfect and its output is on a par with a Nova stove

The wife thinks I've got too much time on my hands :rolleyes:

And the son thinks you got to much time on your hands too, and too many stoves ha ha ha.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
MattW said:
Not a silly question at all.
I've recently applied for a licence to buy industrial methylated spirits (also known as denatured alcohol) - I've heard that this is less smelly / sooty when using. I don't think that there's much you can do to change the smell of standard meths though.

Matt

Why do you have to have a licence to buy denatured alcohol? It still has poison put into it to prevent people from drinking it(I think that is what denatured MEANS)...

One thing you can use(and I do) is Everclear...
It is expensive but has no poison in it(I do not like the idea of breathing benzine fumes while cooking...
I think I may have read somewhere that it is illegal in the UK though... How do you make mixed drinks in the UK without it??? It is a standard here in the US... I have heard that some people actually drink it, though I do not think it is meant to be drank pure. I would think that 98%(196 proof) alcohol would burst the cell walls in your throat! I know when drying tissue samples for mounting on slides, you have to go through a whole range of %s to keep from destroying the sample... I do not drink so I do not really know about drinking it, but I do not think it would be a good idea at all...

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
jamesraykenney said:
Why do you have to have a licence to buy denatured alcohol? It still has poison put into it to prevent people from drinking it(I think that is what denatured MEANS)...

One thing you can use(and I do) is Everclear...
It is expensive but has no poison in it(I do not like the idea of breathing benzine fumes while cooking...
I think I may have read somewhere that it is illegal in the UK though... How do you make mixed drinks in the UK without it??? It is a standard here in the US... I have heard that some people actually drink it, though I do not think it is meant to be drank pure. I would think that 98%(196 proof) alcohol would burst the cell walls in your throat! I know when drying tissue samples for mounting on slides, you have to go through a whole range of %s to keep from destroying the sample... I do not drink so I do not really know about drinking it, but I do not think it would be a good idea at all...

Interesting... :)

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I found these in Tisos in Scotland and took one to the Tour de France in my Trangia 27K.
No smell, no soot, appeared a wee bit slower-but there was no wind to boost the flame like there would be in Scotland. :D
They won't fit in the kettle of the Trangia but the unit is a combined burner and fuel source so no bottle to carry additionally. You can hold the open can upside down and it wont drip and it lit no problem with a firesteel.
One can lasted me 5 days worth of coffee twice a day for 2 people and it brought water to a proper rolling boil. I haven't been that impressed with Greenheat gel in the past ( In a Crusader cooker) but this combo seems to boost its efficiency through good screening of the flame, efficient transfer of heat and the Trangia wind assisted chimney effect. The noticeable boon was the lack of cleaning sooty pans and lack of smell-but like others the first waft of damp meths takes me back to outdoors!
Recommended pending a test in the Highlands-and in colder weather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE