making kit lighter and more compact.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
obvious answer don't take as much :lol:

any one heard of any new recent ways of lightning ones kit?

I'm getting old and need all the help i can!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I agree leave some at home!

Only partly joking, I will do a very good demonstration at the meetup in August of 'how to bring everything you might possibily need for a weekend' the problem with this method is it gets very heavy. I always try to cut down on the ammount I take but it never seems to work.

On DofE a few years ago now I was the one with a 100 litre bergen pretty much full and my mate had a 65 litre which was half empty. We had exactly the same ammount of shared kit (tents cooking stuff etc) but he just brought less of everything else.

Having said this there are some good websites out there for lightweight backpacking with good ideas. It gets expensive though, to get light sleeping bags, tents or clothing is always more than the alternatives. :-D

Bill

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I did the same when I was in Merthyr mawr, had 85 litres of backpack filled up with tent strapped to it. after seeing Ed and Dean with small 35L sacks and then Stuart fitting all his into 20L (2x side pockets of Rocket Pack), I've managed to get mine easily into 35L with lots of room to spare.
I think the bigger the bag you take the you're likely to fill it.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I agree with Lithril, bhe best way I figure is to buy a smaller capacity bergen. :wink:

Sounds silly, but it does "force" you to leave some of your gear out or use ultralight alternatives. You could try a Sabre 45 with 2x 10L rocket packs - 65L is a pretty good capacity, then figure ways to loose the side packs and get it down to 45L. Everyone seems to say that they are guilty of packing far too much for just in case scenario's, to make them more comfortable, but they never actually happen.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I got rid of the bergen not that long after for those very reasons. I once heard someone describe it as 'when you drop the first pair of socks into a crusader it looks such a big space you think you will never fill it, but you always do!'

I am looking out for a lightweight down sleeping bag at the minute because that is a great way to start cutting down on weight and space. I have a terra nova voyager tent which is about as light as you can go and still fit 2 people in and use it beyond summer. Other than that my gear is quite well set up, I just pack too much 'in case'. I will learn.

Bill

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I got all teh stuff for D of E into a 35l with the poles of a force ten trapped to it and the waterproof on the outside. then My dad needed the pack so it had go in my 50L anyway, same stuff but it somehow still seemed full

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Maybe if we were all forced to spend 3 days in the wilderness with...

1 x knife
1 x billy can
1 x crusader mug/cup
1 x spoon/spork
1 x tarp + paracord
1 x bivi bag
1 x sleeping bag
3 x one day rations (...of your own choice and composition)
1 x milbank bag
1 x litre water bottle
1 x ferro rod
1 x loo roll.

Plus 5 more items of your own choosing, weighing no more than 5 pounds total, or 5 litres capacity, whichever is the greater (consider a first aid kit as 1 item, clean underpants as 1 item, clean socks as 1 item, camp mat/thermarest as 1 item etc).

I guess everything else is a luxury. :lol:

It might be an interesting idea/game/challenge to work out a minimalist kit list for us all to try out for 1 or 2 nights and then report our experiences?

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Martyn
I'd probably add a bivi bag to the list, don't want the sleeping bag to get wet from the ground... might swap the billy can and cup for a metal mug to keep the numbers right for you....

Using a debris shelter, you could get away without tarp. bivi and sleeping bag

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Andy said:
can I add a change of underwear to the list? I have known a guy go for 3days without but we are civil still. aren't we?

Turn them inside out and they will last for 3 more days. We always turned our underwear isnide out in the army and we used a 25 litre pack for all our stuff we carried.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Justin Time said:
Martyn
I'd probably add a bivi bag to the list, don't want the sleeping bag to get wet from the ground... might swap the billy can and cup for a metal mug to keep the numbers right for you....

Using a debris shelter, you could get away without tarp. bivi and sleeping bag

I revised the list to include the bivi, you gotta have a decent level of comfort dont you think? I mean if it's a miserable experience - why do it? I figure you gotta have enough basics for a reasonable level of comfort.

Anyone up for this?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The General said:
One knife? I don't understand... :wink:

...plus five more items of your own choosing, so you can have 6 knives wayne. :lol:

Seriously though, it'd be cool to have a (minimalist) BcUK recommended 3 day summer kit list, worked out from members experiences. Then folks could take this as an absolute minimum, or build on it. It'd be interesting to see what levels of comfort can be achieved and to give each item a rating based on usefulness/comfort - with a 0 rating if it doesnt get used at all, up to a 10 rating for items used daily/frequently that you absolutely must have at all costs.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Where is stuart when you need him. A thread comes up about super light weight kit and he's away!!!

I have a 35l pack which keeps the amount down that I carry.... if it doesn't fit, it don't come along.

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE