Making fire with superglue and cotton?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
This was posted over at paleoplanet by "Mooncat":

"You need some superglue (Cyanoacrylate), A large cotton ball and a tinder bundle ready.

Normally, I would probably use a chunk of bark or wood as a base for this just to start. Take the cotton ball and get it completely soaked in that superglue, then exhale on it. Do NOT breathe in the fumes though. The moisture from your breath acts as a catalyst to get the superglue to start working and hardening/sticking. In doing this process, an amazing amount of heat is generated, which will ignite the cotton ball.

I know it sounds crazy, but it works."

Link (go to post 29):
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/2770/t/Fire-by-all-possible-ways.html?page=2

I tried it but I couldn't get it working.
I used fluff from the tumble dryer instead of cotton balls, sprinkled it with lots of superglue and then blew on it. I could feel it getting hot (especially the bit off fluff that I managed to glue on my index finger:rolleyes: ) when the moist air hit the superglue but didn't get flames.

Has anyone here succeeded at this?

Cheers,

Tom

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just had a go (before wifey gets home and shouts at me) but I didn't get anything.

Tried Bostik All Purpose and some evil Ultraloc super glue, couldn't find any mention of Cyanoacrylate on either tube though so it seems that must be the magic ingredient.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE