Making feather sticks 101

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Great vid thanks for sharing. A point to add, I find this task is made easier by locking your elbow straight and using your shoulder and a little body weight (make sure you're not in an unstable position that would cause you to fall forward) to push the blade. This isn't necessary of course but you avoid inconsistent pressure on the blade caused by the change in arm position throughout the cut, it saves valuable energy better used elsewhere, and it helps you deal with the varying resistance of the timbre throughout it's length.

W

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Another way is to keep the knife still and move the stick instead, the old romanies used this method called ''off the knee'' to make gypsy flowers, they kept the knife still holding it by their knee and moved the stick itself up and down over the knife to create the curls. There was a programme called Looking Back / Born On The Straw where an old fellow showed this method to great effect, it used to be on youtube but having just searched for it I can no longer find it (though it’s on the community channel) so I have added a link below of another guy instead showing how it’s done.

[video=youtube;Mw_K1C6Kd5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw_K1C6Kd5s[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE