Making dried fish-step by step

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I'm sure there are many different ways to make dried fish but this is the Dene way. Dene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is lake trout. If doing this to a fish with scales, it would need to be scaled first.
My apologies for the messy table but more than a dozen fish were done before I realized that this might be of interest to others.
The fish shown here was near the last of them left to be prepared, so I was somewhat lazy to clean the table so near the end.

To start, cut both belly fins off
17bcf99d.jpg

Cut down to the tail bone but be careful not to force too hard. You don't want to cut the tail off. Once cut, turn it over and cut the other side as well
c88c7152.jpg

Cut below the head to where you feel the resistance of the bone, stopping there. As with the tail, turn it over and do the same on the other side
33508644.jpg

Next, cut along the backbone starting at the cut you've just made below the head and continuing to the tail, stopping where you made the tail cut
d86f8455.jpg

Then cut along the backbone again. If you're comfortable leaving it in place for the second back bone cut, go ahead. Otherwise flip it over
67b1eec1.jpg

The finished back cuts should look like this
d71e71b8.jpg

Start cutting along the bones towards the stomach
bb809569.jpg

e6e1514d.jpg

Continue to the tail
6bceeb92.jpg

Now turn to the other side and do the same
48568e21.jpg

46266096.jpg

At this point you've 'skinned' your fish
02b091ea.jpg

Completely removed, meat and skin in one
9521c423.jpg

Cuts are then made to facilitate drying. If not for these cuts, the meat would be too thick
4343ddc3.jpg

The next step is to thoroughly wash it. Then hang it to dry a bit. It doesn't need to dry long. All we're wanting to do is let the excess water from the washing drain off. Here it hangs on a spruce pole that's tied between two trees, at a comfortable working height
a761d4b0.jpg

From here it's off to the smokehouse. You can smoke these with whatever wood you wish. The Dene use very dry old spruce so there is no pitch in the wood, and no bark left either.
This particular method doesn't require the fish to be smoked until dry. They are only smoked enough to partially dry them and add flavour.
Afterwards they are frozen and kept that way until ready to eat.
Once thawed, a small amount of lard is put on the meat side to prevent them from becoming too dry while baking. Put it on a shallow pan, skin down, and bake for about twenty minutes at 350 degrees.
You can experiment all you want by using butter or basting it with whatever you like, rather than the lard, it's entirely your choice.:)

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Brilliant stuff Bb! What does the drying rake look like chap?

Here's a pic of what's usually made for drying meat or fish (not my pic, don't have any at the moment). A simple frame made using four upright poles with two horizontal poles a few feet high connecting two of the uprights. Then more poles are set on top of the two horizontal ones to lay the fish or meat on.
If it's windy then a tarp, spruce or whatever else is close at hand is placed around three sides, leaving one side open to tend the fire and have access.
Quite often something like this is all that's used, but some people will build a permanent smokehouse.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhgeh9GE8EMHc6zi6EPgyBYX_x2xeRa3NvwROxO3ZhZpAb3nqa

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Loving this post - I do like to see posts that show "living" long term - rather than "passing through" :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE