Making A Table From Circular Slices Of Oak....Stopping Splitting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Khumbu8000

Mar 27, 2011
Marlborough
Hi All,
I am hoping to saw up some circular discs sections of an oak tree that has gone down recently. I met someone today who said that if I used the circular cross-sections for table tops then he thought it would split from the middle, over time. He advised me use a froe and then cleave them lengthways.

Is there any way of stopping circular cross-sections from cracking? Can I coat them in anything?

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
I tried about one year ago, but without success. Even if the maximum care was provided, at very last the log split. After that I found this book that I higly recommend. it is packed with lots of tips about seasoning wood and preventing splits.

[h=1]How to Season and Dry Your Own Wood by Alan Holthman[/h]

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
more likely something plastic like an epoxy sealer or PEG. No way of stopping splitting in rounds that I'm aware of, unless you totally stop and moisture movement by plastisising. Not sure about kiln drying? probably not

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You cannot cleave the size of tree you mentioned in the previous thread with a froe either I'm afraid (4' diameter). You can cleave it but a sledge hammer and wedges are required.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
2' I can see - but 4'? What would you hit it with? A sledge? Then a couple of big guys to swing off the handle?

I'd love to watch :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
nah, The way I've done it s to use the 'froe' to start a straight split across the log and then follow it down using wedges ;) A friend of mine has been making iron age shields from birch, alder and oak and that was the only way I could get half decent planks from them

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
This bloke seems to manage it, I reckon the epoxy holds it all securely.
[video=youtube;0maJWFjoGbM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0maJWFjoGbM[/video]

Khumbu8000

Mar 27, 2011
Marlborough
Many many thanks. Circular discs are off the menu. I will try and use wedges, mallet, lump hammer etc and I do have a iron bar 2m long i recently found in a bush. I presume i could put a bit of an edge on it with an angle-grinder. Any way it might give me some leverage.

For cleaving is a side axe much better than my husqie hatchet, which is heavier than most and great for roughing out spoons etc. or long handled straight adze?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't mess with a side axe (ruins a good tool). Either get some proper steel splitting wedges (as shown here)

5) Hand tools by British Red, on Flickr

....or make some wooden wedges. Start a split and progress it with wedges. You could split with your Husqy. How long do you plan to live? :)

Jim Aston (Old Jimbo) once split a mahoosive tree with a Vaughan mini hatchet and wedges. To prove it could be done. And even he resorted to a large hammer.

Short answer - you could make wooden wedges and split it as a trunk after you have cut away the crown and rootball. But you would be better served getting the right equipment.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
if you are planning on having the top only a few inches (or even a foot) thick, then splitting it will be easy. Just saw the trunk into the thickness you want and split with a ground edge on your bar or any oher means you feel like. Splitting a length of large diameter stuff is going to take wedges and sledges

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
Coating them is a possibility. Oil or melted wax and then try to keep them cool and let them dry out as slow as possible. Have made up serving platters before for someone out of ash and that didn't split however there is no way to guarantee this will work.
Lengthways is the best bet.
If you want an easy start for the wedges try cutting a groove with a circular saw down the length and then use the wedges. the more you use the easier it will be. oak wedges are good as a softwood will tend to split easier as well as compress as they're driven in.

Khumbu8000

Mar 27, 2011
Marlborough
With smaller beech trunks recently i have gone along where i want it to split with some sharp but very cheap axes and make a line of indentations about 1 cm thick. I then use a rusty old but very large chopping axe as the first wedge, which gets malleted in. This opens it up enough for my long steel wedge to go in front. Then chopping axe out but glut in its place, and so on.

i think i will do these indentations along two lines on the top as the tree is so big. Hopefully with pressure from both sides for the first foot i will then be able to get the bar in. But will have to keep scoring it about 1-2cm thick along side to control the split a bit. It may just tear off too early but im going to have fun trying!

may practise the technique on a smaller log.

i have a short lump hammer but may just get a sledge hammer for the wooden wedges though i finding wielding other logs helps and keeps me fit.

Time to make some gluts. I normally use some really tough old hazel and it doesnt lose shape as the axe s and wedge have done the hardest work but i have some seasoned beech or green oak?????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE